Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF My Link with Apple Play or Android

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calias
Hey Everyone
Just bought a VF Calias and it has no Navigation
Is there a way to put a Nav in and have it connect to Apple Play or Android without paying through the roof for it
I’ve seen add on kits for around $1500 but was seeing if there was a cheaper way
Thank you

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
*Calais...

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Hey Everyone
Just bought a VF Calias and it has no Navigation
Is there a way to put a Nav in and have it connect to Apple Play or Android without paying through the roof for it
I’ve seen add on kits for around $1500 but was seeing if there was a cheaper way
Thank you

There are ones available for less than $1500 but are generally at least $1k for Apple Play and Android CarPlay from companies like Envyous Customs or LSXtreme or the new Keyhan units.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I'm somewhat gobsmacked (and yes - I Googled it so I know it's accurate) that Holden built something without SatNav in 2012 and stuck a Calais badge on the back!!

I presume it doesn't have HUD? Because lack of HUD support is the biggest drawback with the aftermarket systems, unfortunately you won't get out of it for less than around $1k if you want something neatly & properly installed. Really the cheapest way is to get a dedicated SatNav device like a Nuvi with lifetime free map upgrades, 2nd cheapest is something like a Kogan Android 'phone with enough grunt to run Google Maps … and use a 'phone holder.

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ I doubt you'll get out of it for much under $1k, even if fitting a newer MyLink system (eg. out of a Colorado).

Factory VF/VF2 SatNav unfortunately locks you into a $200 cost for any non-bugfix upgrades & those $200 maps are perpetually 3-4 years old at the newest (and which, who knows, may never be updated again).

Philmecrackun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V 6.2L 1972 Ford Galaxie Wagon 400ci
Cheapest and most accurate gps, buy a phone holder and bluetooth audio Google maps or another app

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I'm somewhat gobsmacked (and yes - I Googled it so I know it's accurate) that Holden built something without SatNav in 2012 and stuck a Calais badge on the back!!

I presume it doesn't have HUD? Because lack of HUD support is the biggest drawback with the aftermarket systems, unfortunately you won't get out of it for less than around $1k if you want something neatly & properly installed. Really the cheapest way is to get a dedicated SatNav device like a Nuvi with lifetime free map upgrades, 2nd cheapest is something like a Kogan Android 'phone with enough grunt to run Google Maps … and use a 'phone holder.

Remember there was two Calais. It was 2013 and Holden had Calais and Calais V with everything. Calais V was their flagship vehicle for the launch of the VF. VFII was the Redline as it was shown in the TV ads. One thing that I didn't understand on later models was the SV6 and the SS ended up with HUD but the base Calais didn't.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I personally haven't had any issues with the factory Mylink or its navigation. Its maps are not exactly up to date, but having something is usually better than nothing at all.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I thought navigation was an optional extra, and did have a pretty hefty upgrade cost, which is likely why alot of vehicles (Unless full upper spec) optioned without it.

For car navigation (Without using a phone cradle), there are really 4 main options:
1) Factory VF Nav. You can pick these up fairly cheap if looking around, it does need to be security linked into the car. ($500-700) plus programming.
2) Kayhan aftermarket unit. They are still working on adding back in HUD and items like this. A little over $1k
3) Alpine aftermarket unit, very expensive ($3k off top of my head?)
4) Carplay kit ($1k)

For perfect factory integration with minimal bugs or problems, then factory is the only option, downfall is maps are not always up to date.
Otherwise for aftermarket, if you have dealt with an android phone ever, you will know they can sometimes have their little hiccups. Anyone that expects perfect flawlessness would be disappointed since little weird occurrences can happen. Even google, a multi billion $$ company, that develops the android OS has bugs even with their flagship phones (pixel).

There is.. technically.. a 5th option that I have been looking at. Which is to use the newer 2018/2019 radios in our commodores. They will work in our car with the screen replaced and new radio box fitted, but the issue currently is getting the face plate buttons working again.

Anyways.. my 2cents worth!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I love it when Tazzl posts.