Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS first modifications

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Car dealership (not Holden) only about 3-4 weeks ago.
At least with a dealer you get ACL protection as well as another bit of legislation giving you a used car 3 month statutory warranty.

As part of selling a used car, a dealer must document all known defects on the sale not or an addendum as part of the used car statutory warranty. If the selling dealer didn’t do so, they can’t say it was an existing issues and should have been obvious to you. So Google the used car statutory warranty and that should help up you understand the law and how you can use it to get things fixes (if it is indeed an issue). Hint, document the fault in writing and give it to them well before the 3 months are over...

The problem we all have in such instances is having the seller (or manufacturer if their voluntary warranty is still active) accept their is a defect (tone and industrial deafness is common). About the most accurate way is an engine strip down and bore/piston measurements and if outsife manufacturers tolerance for the mileage, and especially if outside the rebuild tolerance, it’s defective... Unfortunately that’s costly process to perform.

I‘d check with the previous owner what the situation was and whether such piston slap was reported to a Holden dealer. I’d also get copies of service records if possible. The selling dealer should have listed the previous owner in the paperwork provided. If it’s not a one owner car, you may have some detective work to establish full history via service receipts (which is the only way to confirm service was done on time and on mileage, whichever came first and what if any issues were raised during service or other times).

Just keep in mind that if it is indeed a defect, the used car seller can’t really say they won’t cover this piston slap issue unless it was listed as a defect of contract docs... even if it wasn’t serviced according to the schedule...

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
I could not cop and answer of “that’s just normal” from the dealers even though they are well aware it’s far from what should be normal.
I would be devastated if my car sounded like that.

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
Here’s a video, comparing it now to the other videos I don’t think mine sounds as bad but it’s there a little bit. Think I’m just going to run with it/put up with it since the amount of comments I’m seeing it as ‘normal’ for cold LS3’s.

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
At least with a dealer you get ACL protection as well as another bit of legislation giving you a used car 3 month statutory warranty.

As part of selling a used car, a dealer must document all known defects on the sale not or an addendum as part of the used car statutory warranty. If the selling dealer didn’t do so, they can’t say it was an existing issues and should have been obvious to you. So Google the used car statutory warranty and that should help up you understand the law and how you can use it to get things fixes (if it is indeed an issue). Hint, document the fault in writing and give it to them well before the 3 months are over...

The problem we all have in such instances is having the seller (or manufacturer if their voluntary warranty is still active) accept their is a defect (tone and industrial deafness is common). About the most accurate way is an engine strip down and bore/piston measurements and if outsife manufacturers tolerance for the mileage, and especially if outside the rebuild tolerance, it’s defective... Unfortunately that’s costly process to perform.

I‘d check with the previous owner what the situation was and whether such piston slap was reported to a Holden dealer. I’d also get copies of service records if possible. The selling dealer should have listed the previous owner in the paperwork provided. If it’s not a one owner car, you may have some detective work to establish full history via service receipts (which is the only way to confirm service was done on time and on mileage, whichever came first and what if any issues were raised during service or other times).

Just keep in mind that if it is indeed a defect, the used car seller can’t really say they won’t cover this piston slap issue unless it was listed as a defect of contract docs... even if it wasn’t serviced according to the schedule...

Thank you for the detailed reply mate.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Here’s a video, comparing it now to the other videos I don’t think mine sounds as bad but it’s there a little bit. Think I’m just going to run with it/put up with it since the amount of comments I’m seeing it as ‘normal’ for cold LS3’s.

Yeah. Definitely a bit slappy :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

There's a nasty 'tic' when you go around corners....;)

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
As long as not a tac tac tac