Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS first modifications

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thanks mate. I swear you have an answer for absolutely everything.. some kind of magician.
Hahaha... hardly a magician :p opinionated, nah but that probably depends on who you ask :p:p:p

It's simply that I've been around for many years and had a lot of car problems over those years and have had to deal with sellers always try and avoid their responsability. As such, i try and pass on the little i've learned so it's not so easy for others to get screwed by sellers who don't want to stand by the products they sell.

As for your spinning HB, it looks ok to me but looks can be decieving. It also doesn't sound like the engine is missing or running badly but that could just be the video as you say...

GM has some service bulleting as to how much runnout the HB can have before its considered faulty. I couldn't find a link to the Chevy SS LS3 TSB but at least I've got a link for the PPV and G8 (6ltr V8?), see here, I've repeted the TSB below:

#PIP4750E: Belt Squeak Noise And/Or Crankshaft Balancer Appears To Wobble - (Feb 10, 2012)
This PI was superseded to update recommended field. Please discard PIP4750D.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern: Some customers may complain of a belt squeak noise and/or a crankshaft balancer appears to be out of
balance or wobbling while watching it with the engine running. In most cases, the wobble is an optical
illusion because the design of the balancer gives the appearance that it is moving more than it actually is.
Recommendation/Instructions: If this concern is experienced, follow the steps below:
Notice - An inaccurate reading may be obtained by measuring the face of the balancer instead of the rear of
the drive belt groove. Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition
exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Subject: Belt Squeak Noise and/or Crankshaft Balancer Appears to Wobble
Models: 2010-2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2011-2012 Chevrolet Caprice
2009-2012 Chevrolet Corvette
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
with 6.0L 6.2L Engine (RPOs L76 L77 L99, LS3, or LS7)
1. Push the crankshaft all the way to the rear of the engine.
2. Using a magnetic base, attach a dial indicator so the measuring tip is contacting the rear of the
drive belt groove.
3. Rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees and note the total amount of crankshaft balancer run out.
• If the balancer run out is 0.40mm (0.0157”) or less, do not replace the balancer because the run
out is in specification.
• If the balancer run out is greater than 0.40mm, replace the crankshaft balancer and perform step
3 again to confirm that the run out of the new balancer is in specification.
4. If the customer has complained of a belt squeak, also replace the drive belt.

So get a dial guage and check runnout is less than 0.4mm, else you should replace it (can't see that 6ltr and 6.2 ltr would be vastely different).

A 0.4mm runnout is hard to se so the following block has serious issues...

and not sure what engine the below video is related to by if you watch it to teh end, you'll find out why sometimes things can be more urgent than a squeek can indicate

Last edited:

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
Hahaha... hardly a magician :p opinionated, nah but that probably depends on who you ask :p:p:p

It's simply that I've been around for many years and had a lot of car problems over those years and have had to deal with sellers always try and avoid their responsability. As such, i try and pass on the little i've learned so it's not so easy for others to get screwed by sellers who don't want to stand by the products they sell.

As for your spinning HB, it looks ok to me but looks can be decieving. It also doesn't sound like the engine is missing or running badly but that could just be the video as you say...

GM has some service bulleting as to how much runnout the HB can have before its considered faulty. I couldn't find a link to the Chevy SS LS3 TSB but at least I've got a link for the PPV and G8 (6ltr V8?), see here, I've repeted the TSB below:

#PIP4750E: Belt Squeak Noise And/Or Crankshaft Balancer Appears To Wobble - (Feb 10, 2012)
This PI was superseded to update recommended field. Please discard PIP4750D.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern: Some customers may complain of a belt squeak noise and/or a crankshaft balancer appears to be out of
balance or wobbling while watching it with the engine running. In most cases, the wobble is an optical
illusion because the design of the balancer gives the appearance that it is moving more than it actually is.
Recommendation/Instructions: If this concern is experienced, follow the steps below:
Notice - An inaccurate reading may be obtained by measuring the face of the balancer instead of the rear of
the drive belt groove. Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition
exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Subject: Belt Squeak Noise and/or Crankshaft Balancer Appears to Wobble
Models: 2010-2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2011-2012 Chevrolet Caprice
2009-2012 Chevrolet Corvette
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
with 6.0L 6.2L Engine (RPOs L76 L77 L99, LS3, or LS7)
1. Push the crankshaft all the way to the rear of the engine.
2. Using a magnetic base, attach a dial indicator so the measuring tip is contacting the rear of the
drive belt groove.
3. Rotate the crankshaft 360 degrees and note the total amount of crankshaft balancer run out.
• If the balancer run out is 0.40mm (0.0157”) or less, do not replace the balancer because the run
out is in specification.
• If the balancer run out is greater than 0.40mm, replace the crankshaft balancer and perform step
3 again to confirm that the run out of the new balancer is in specification.
4. If the customer has complained of a belt squeak, also replace the drive belt.

So get a dial guage and check runnout is less than 0.4mm, else you should replace it (can't see that 6ltr and 6.2 ltr would be vastely different).

A 0.4mm runnout is hard to se so the following block has serious issues...

and not sure what engine the below video is related to by if you watch it to teh end, you'll find out why sometimes things can be more urgent than a squeek can indicate

Definitely nowhere near as wobbly as that. Good for a reference, maybe just overthinking myself a little bit at the moment. Say it goes after my stat warranty is out - do you happen to know a rough price estimation to get a new one installed?

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
Had it looked at by a mechanic next to work who said he thinks it's fine and my own personal lifelong mechanic said looks ok as well.

Has anyone had work done by C&A Auto Fashion? Tossing up between them and Dale Paterson Motorsport for my first upgrade package soon. Also, any suggestions on a GPS tracker or something similar for security reasons?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
sorry @Flaggers don’t know how much a better HB + install would cost but good that two mechanics have said it’s ok.

As for the two shops, no idea :rolleyes: both web sites look good but that doesn’t have much of a bearing on quality of workmanship. Having said that, id rather have a trady with a well sorted and clean van do work in my house than someone who’s van looks like he runs a brother side business…

So go to each place and look at their workshop ;)

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
Doing an oil change this weekend. I didn't want to start a new thread and I know there's heaps of threads and stuff about oils but wanted to hear some recent opinions.

Looking at Penrite HPR 5 5w-40 as that seemed to be the oil that came up the most when searching this forum, is this still one of the best? Also, anyone know why Supercheap's website says this oil 'doesn't fit your vehicle' lol.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Doing an oil change this weekend. I didn't want to start a new thread and I know there's heaps of threads and stuff about oils but wanted to hear some recent opinions.

Looking at Penrite HPR 5 5w-40 as that seemed to be the oil that came up the most when searching this forum, is this still one of the best? Also, anyone know why Supercheap's website says this oil 'doesn't fit your vehicle' lol.

[/URL]
Try this: https://www.penriteoil.com.au/produ...Cr_WVUbvzPI-dARoCoeYQAvD_BwE#/recommendations

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

[/URL]

That will be fine...it's good oil

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I've been using HPR10 10W 50 for my last few changes

I've tried Nulon 5w 30 which "enhanced" the sewing machine sound, to Penrite extra 10 10w 40 which seemed much better, then tried Castrol Edge 10w 60 which was good, albeit pricey, then, after talking to a oil tech guy and my old engine builder, started running the HPR10 10W 50

Disclaimer: my 2002 LS1 has a unopened bottom end, LS7 lifters, little cam and now a HTV2300 on it, odo has 130k km on it and the engine gets a flush, new oil and filter every 5k km, the car runs like a dream and takes a beating quite well

But, in reality, I'm just going of how it runs and sounds, the real proof would be for me to send off an oil sample to get tested

But I'm lazy and so far, so good is my current mantra