Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS first modifications

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Nope, will try that tomorrow then. Shannon's the best?
It's hard to define 'best', but for modified cars, and younger drivers, probably one of 'not many' insurers that do it.

LyLy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 sv6 ute
I recommend to stay away from jhp
Well over priced on products for the VF
There is cheaper prices to be had elsewhere also sometimes including shipping when taking time to look around

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Nope, will try that tomorrow then. Shannon's the best?
They have a strong preference for car-club members, FYI. As in, hundreds of dollars per year worth of preference for car-club members.

LyLy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 sv6 ute
Like you said forge hundreds of dollars but not thousands of dollars for the cost of products so who is making money of the back of car enthusiasts?

LyLy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 2 sv6 ute
That’s why they are over priced to line their own pockets first

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
That’s why they are over priced to line their own pockets first
Shannons is the cheapest insurer for me.
This will absolutely not be the same for everyone, not even the majority; but it is for me.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A 24 yo wanting to mod a powerful V8 will have all sorts of insurance difficulties wherever they go for their cover.

Either the insurance company will flatly deny to offer insurance cover or they will price it at a level and with an excess where it simply won’t be purchased. Other companies may actually offer a policy but it will still be priced at a high yearly premium with high excess (just not as eye watering as those that don’t want your business).

And the reason is that modded V8’s in the hands of inexperienced drivers are calculated to be a big risk to insurer.

So ring around is all one can do but be seated otherwise you may fall and knock your head when they tell you the cost. Just don’t be too surprised your business isn’t desirable to the major insurance companies :p

PS: For an old fart like me, a Calais Director was cheaper to insure than a SSVR Motorsports Edition automatic. Both are equally powerful cars with identical drivelines (except rear cradle bushes are different)... It all comes down to the perceived or calculated mindset of owners... Insurance quote for bog standard varied from $800 to $5400 per year for the motorsports edition, the director was $150 cheaper... Excess was around $700 +/-... Shannon’s definitely wasn’t the cheapest and some companies simply weren’t interested insuring an experienced old fart :eek:

No idea what a 24 yo with mods would be seeing as a premium, but I’d think the premiums would start over $3000? And such prices are why many don’t list their mods which at yne end of the day may prove to be a fools errand :rolleyes:

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
Can a parent insure it and have you listed as a nominated driver? Would that potentially lower the premium?
Can that be considered?
Genuine question, not trying to condone flouting the system (so if it is not on don’t yell at me internet;)) but I don’t see an issue as long as it is disclosed?
Bumping your excess up should also lower your premium.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can a parent insure it and have you listed as a nominated driver? Would that potentially lower the premium?
Can that be considered?
Genuine question, not trying to condone flouting the system (so if it is not on don’t yell at me internet;)) but I don’t see an issue as long as it is disclosed?
Bumping your excess up should also lower your premium.
As long as you're a declared driver it's no problem; but for that reason, it's rarely any cheaper either.
I still reckon it's worth asking.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
I paid $2500 for my full x force exhaust but i fitted it,raw stainless twin 3 inch and 1 3/4 raw stainless long tubes with 100 cell cats,ive never had an issue with x force at all,i also had a twin 2.5 x force on my wagon just before i fitted the 3 inch,only issue was it wasnt loud enough,thats why i fitted the 3 inch.
No drone either.