Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS first modifications

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
There is way too many variables for insurance to be able to answer your questions directly, so best bet is to go ask the insurers directly and find out what they say.
But to put it into perspective, at 21 I had a heavily modified 6L (Blown/Cammed etc) and very uncommon model HSV insured in solely my name. At the time i legally couldnt drive it (bought it before getting off the P's) but they asked my intentions and it went from there. It is on Very Limited use, which makes a difference, so it may not suit your situation.
How you use it can make a massive difference, so that's also something to consider.
But again they will assess each situation seperately, so do the comparisons and the research.

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
So have been reading a few things and looking at a few different packages and nearly all have hi flow cats, however today a workmate (guy is big into cars, has a 600HP BMW and does most of the work himself) was telling me that it's better to just delete the cats, which is completely different to everything I've been reading.

Which is better and why?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
So have been reading a few things and looking at a few different packages and nearly all have hi flow cats, however today a workmate (guy is big into cars, has a 600HP BMW and does most of the work himself) was telling me that it's better to just delete the cats, which is completely different to everything I've been reading.

Which is better and why?
Depends whether you like poisoning everyone ... if so, delete the cats and to hell with the legality or the risk of that multiple thousands of dollars in fines! :)
[I'm also wondering if it reduces the ECU's ability to cruise with a lean fuel mix because without the cats the oxy sensor/s die/s pretty quickly?]

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Which is better and why?

Tell your mate he is a fool.

Cat delete is a no no on a street car...

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore

Which is better and why?

Unless it's a dedicated race car you need cats, because law, and, as MCM says, Captain Planet will kick you in the balls if you decat a street car

BUT, and that is a BIG but, your typical highflow cats will not pass emissions without some creative tuning, the 100 cel are really only a visual thing, and 200 cel cats typically only stop the fuel smell

http://speed.academy/how-catalytic-converters-work/

I do enjoy hearing people with 100 cel cats complaining about people with decats...meh

The proof is in cars that go through the engineering process and pass the emissions test, both my R33 GTST Skyline and Turbo Toyota 86 required Euro 5 cats and creative tuning to pass

The local joint that does engineering compliant builds use Euro 5 OE cats in order to get their cars to pass

I wager 95% of people with their "legal" high flow cats will not pass

If you want to roll the dice, book in for a free test, but, be aware that if you fail you will be required to rectify the situation

Free test in NSW > https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/make-change-or-cancel-emissions-testing-booking

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Which is better and why?

You're in Melbourne?

Don't get caught! You will be reamed!

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
Ok then, definitely keeping the cats then. Just watched a video that said your cabin ends up smelling of fuel as well.

Cheers.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You're in Melbourne?

Don't get caught! You will be reamed!
In another thread I posted the level of reaming one would get (if caught removing or passivating emission control equipment on a road vehicle) :rolleyes:

Just to quantify, it's 200 penalty units @ $110 per penalty units... or $22,000 AUD if one is so shocked they can't calculate the dollar fine... :eek:

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS
In another thread I posted the level of reaming one would get (if caught removing or passivating emission control equipment on a road vehicle) :rolleyes:

Just to quantify, it's 200 penalty units @ $110 per penalty units... or $22,000 AUD if one is so shocked they can't calculate the dollar fine... :eek:

Far out.. is that on the spot or do you get a warning?