Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS first modifications

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Since yours is automatic as well, I noticed this on the bottom of the stage 3/4 packs. Did you need this as well and how much extra did it cost?

"Some automatic transmission models may require a cooler kit at additional cost."
All slush box transmissions could do with a trans cooler

Unlike engine oil, which works better at warmer operating temps, transmissions and trans fluid prefer cool temps

This is a common failure point in slush box transmissions that, tow, have big cams, high stalls and no cooler, they cook the trans fluid which cooks the transmission

Typically keeping your trans fluid happy keeps your transmission happy

Trans coolers are cheap insurance

Flaggers

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VF SS

Unlike engine oil, which works better at warmer operating temps, transmissions and trans fluid prefer cool temps

This is a common failure point in slush box transmissions that, tow, have big cams, high stalls and no cooler, they cook the trans fluid which cooks the transmission

Cheers for the in depth explanation mate, appreciate it

Sheppbloke

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Hi Flaggers. No I didn't. It may depend on what you want to do with your car that may determine this. The cam package that Dale uses for Auto's is actually quite mild but very well sorted for a street car and works fine with a standard converter. If I remember correctly, specs are something like Intake 219, Exhaust 235 with an LSA of 116 degrees. Idle is still noticeable but when in gear, it's very well behaved. I also got the headers ceramic coated with my package. They will request you leave overnight to do cold start, road test etc.

Silver Streak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
In the long run you will have to put more petrol in her to run and with fun comes a price. The more you drive the more fuel. I have had mine for 13 yrs and done over 300 ks but it had been and still is fun and sometimes the average fuel consumption is over 20lts 22Lts per 100 km which does hit the back pocket but enjoy it.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

while this is all well and good transmission fluid needs to get up to and maintain operating temps quickly and evenly so anything you fit should bear this in mind.

i've never required a trans cooler on any of my auto's but I do not tow and my cars don't get flogged and my radiators are always well maintained and all fluids are changed as needed including trans fluid.

cheap insurance, i guess so but never needed for most users.

John a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb rsv
Just purchased a stock standard 2017 VF SS with 80k on the clock, will be picking it up on Tuesday. I have a few things in mind such as an exhaust system, new wheels and eventually a cam package. I'm a bit overwhelmed and wondering where/what I should start with and what the best brands etc. are as I have never owned a Holden or a v8 before (had a Golf R before this).

Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks in advance.

John a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb rsv
Just purchased a stock standard 2017 VF SS with 80k on the clock, will be picking it up on Tuesday. I have a few things in mind such as an exhaust system, new wheels and eventually a cam package. I'm a bit overwhelmed and wondering where/what I should start with and what the best brands etc. are as I have never owned a Holden or a v8 before (had a Golf R before this).

Any suggestions/ideas? Thanks in advance.

John a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb rsv
Mate leave it alone they are great cars out of the box they are more valuable in standard form.just drive it for a couple of months and enjoy a great car then rethink what you want to do.just my oppinion.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Mate leave it alone they are great cars out of the box they are more valuable in standard form.just drive it for a couple of months and enjoy a great car then rethink what you want to do.just my oppinion.

stock exhaust is balls mate, just plain awful.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
while this is all well and good transmission fluid needs to get up to and maintain operating temps quickly and evenly so anything you fit should bear this in mind.

i've never required a trans cooler on any of my auto's but I do not tow and my cars don't get flogged and my radiators are always well maintained and all fluids are changed as needed including trans fluid.

cheap insurance, i guess so but never needed for most users.

And what is the operating temperature for a automatic transmission fluid?

My transmission guy said low is good and to fit the biggest cooler that would fit

We taked in detail about it

My points were based off the OP talking about modifying his car and making more power

Edit: this website explains better than me > http://thetransmissioncentre.com.au/?page_id=105

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex