Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS Music Questions

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I think I have an m4a file on mine and I'm pretty sure it played fine.

Just chuck it on a USB and flag down someone with a VF and try it :)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I think I have an m4a file on mine and I'm pretty sure it played fine.................../QUOTE]

Agree. I tested mine with MP3 and M4A files and both worked. Doubt if it would work with with FLAC files but I might give it a test when I get a moment. Note that Harvey-Norman have the SanDisk units mentioned in the previous posts on special at the present time at 50% off. I purchased a couple of the USB3 32Gb versions for $15 each.

galaga2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
So sounds like I don't need to worry. I can use both m4a and MP3. I got a genuine sandisk for $15 online. So small!!!

galaga2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Now to decide when to buy a car!!! Want the last but not sure I want the changes I am hearing about.

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
Here is what I use in my VF and it works a treat with MyLink. Added bonus is it doesn't protrude to far into the center console:

SanDisk 32GB CZ43 Ultra Fit USB 3.0

-font-b-Sandisk-b-font-font-b-ULTRA-b-font-FIT-font-b-USB-b.jpg

I got one of these, but in 128Gb size thinking I could fit all of my music on one and not have to keep swapping drives.
After a lengthy delay while initialing and indexing, (not surprising), during which it played from the start of the drive normally a few issues have subsequently popped up and i'm wondering if this has occurred to anyone else.

MyLink generally is sluggish and much slower to respond to any inputs.
Hangs/freezes and crashes regularly.
No last track memory. Initially it always went back to the first track on the disk EVERY single time I started the car.
(After I learnt to switch on the shuffle function properly, thanks to advice from here, it now strangely defaults to the point in the last track that was playing when this feature was switched on!)
Doesn't save recent destinations in GPS
Lost ability to save Addresses in Address book in GPS. (They can be entered and the system says they are saved, but it defaults back to the previous saved state every time I start the car again.)

Some other information that may be relevant.
70+Gb of music
All are MP3 @320kbps
1800+ folders
9959 files (Under the 10K limit the system says it can support)

I have tried removing the USB drive and GPS memory functions appear to be restored for now, but will test for longer to see if this has restored all functionality and performance and then try re-inserting the drive again to see if the issues re-occur.

It seems that installing a large drive, or the amount of content on it may have stretched whatever internal memory is available to beyond it's limits.

Users in the US have apparently reported their systems supporting a simple USB 2.0 hub and multiple drives, (with total capacity well over 128Gb), but this doesn't work with any (non-powered) hubs I tried, with only one (random) drive being picked up each time from the hub, so maybe the Chevy SS has something different to ours.

I might just have to delete some music, split into multiple drives, or try to find a simple way to re-rip all the files to a lesser quality format.
(I am NOT going to be manually re-ripping over 400 cd's again!)

It would be interesting to find out if the internal memory was upgradeable in any way?

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Got our MY16 VF series 2 SSV Redline today and the SanDisk works a treat.

brads5913vf

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ss ute
In the Vf 1 it's still only a single cd which I have loaded in case of emergency haha other than that I use my
iPod through usb and Pandora and Spotify through Bluetooth on my phone. And yes, the data does add up

Black5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Senator
Got our MY16 VF series 2 SSV Redline today and the SanDisk works a treat.
How big is your drive and how much music do you have on it?
I didn't have any problems with the smaller 8gb drives I used before getting the 128.
I suspect it has more to do with memory capacity rather than the brand of the drive.

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
How big is your drive and how much music do you have on it?
I didn't have any problems with the smaller 8gb drives I used before getting the 128.
I suspect it has more to do with memory capacity rather than the brand of the drive.

32gb and roughly 400 songs on it at the moment.