Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS oil change

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My brother has a couple of EL V8 engines at home. I'd have to ask him if they both use the Z9.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I was referring to the straight six used up to the AU as that's all I know.

The V8 versions without oil coolers had the Z9......I think they stopped using them with the Coyote V8's......

Pretty sure the Barras used a Z9 as well..

Will have to confirm all that though

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The V8 versions without oil coolers had the Z9......I think they stopped using them with the Coyote V8's......

Pretty sure the Barras used a Z9 as well..

Will have to confirm all that though
Interesting GM went with smaller filters then, but still gave 15k service intervals in late models. I don't know what was recommended with the V6? I know I used to change oil at 5k intervals but my old V6 used whatever was on special, quite often just GW mineral.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Interesting GM went with smaller filters then, but still gave 15k service intervals in late models. I don't know what was recommended with the V6? I know I used to change oil at 5k intervals but my old V6 used whatever was on special, quite often just GW mineral.

Certainly was interesting how the filters got smaller and intervals got longer with GM.....

Why is anyones guess

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
would be interesting to see a clear filter on a running engine, to see if a bigger filter actually uses more of the element or if the shortest path is primarily used, if oil pressure is at say 80psi then if the filter is 80psi within and the outlet is the lower pressure so it flows there easiest it will only filter thru enough of the element to meet the demand, i cant see oil being continually pushed down to the bottom to then be filtered and back up when the top layer will be flowing thru the easiest, oil is uncompressible so like a lifter it may only fill up enough to flow thru and continue on its journey

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Accountants?
Back in the 80s Japan used to make most of their money off spares for cars and bikes. Not sure if that was GM's plan for Holden but if it was they sure liked to discontinue parts supply pretty early after production.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Unless I'm missing something...the VF doesn't have an oil life monitor of any sort, does it? If not, it's the first car I've owned since...1997? That doesn't have one. Pretty surprising they didn't include one.
yes VF V8 has oil reminder light, mine just gone off last week, for the 150,000 service

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Compared with a V8, the oil gets extremely dirty much faster with the SV6 (LFX) engine and for that reason, I change the oil in mine every 6 months. 9 months and only 3000km's in one LFX engine that had done 45000km's in total, the oil looked like it had been in a V8 for 2 years and 20000km's.

I've never had the oil analysed, but purely in the eyes of 40+ years in the trade, the oil gets too dirty for me in the LFX engine to leave for extended periods.
That is surprising. The oil in my LE0 Alloytec never got very dark at all. That was using 5w40.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Perhaps the frequency of the oil change is relative to the oil specification changing and more of a focus on synthetic than the earlier years with mineral oils