Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS-V Redline (Series 1) - Rough idle and loss of power, no warning lights

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Pretty sure school holidays has started...

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
He's making comments (about cammed LS's) but they are full of falsehoods so I'm calling him on it, I don't see anything wrong with that. If you want to contribute fine, if you want to contribute dribble that is fine too but when you are trolling with bad info you can expect to be challenged. Seriously, he talks about his SSV that's cammed like a W557 which is nice except the W557 is a blown motor (LSA) so either he is really stupid of he is full of it.

to me, it looks like a hit and run and we probably won't see him for another few months before he imparts another pearl of wisdom.
exactly why i didnt mention that. you questioned the anonymity. warnings and bans are for private chat not flexing.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
If you would like I can try and dig up the PDF of the dyno run!

Can we get some photos of the SS-V to W557 conversion? you know how to use a camera?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
exactly why i didnt mention that. you questioned the anonymity. warnings and bans are for private chat not flexing.

I questioned everything he has posted online period!

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Hi @wagon37

After you get the OBDIi reader , start monitoring the cylinder misfire PIDs . Check the actual and the history.

It could give you a clue were to start. Once you know which cylinder has an issue you can start swapping plugs , leads , coils around.

But first measure the injectors.

When the injectors impedance on my ls3 we’re out of spec. The rough idle would come and go.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi @wagon37

After you get the OBDIi reader , start monitoring the cylinder misfire PIDs . Check the actual and the history.

It could give you a clue were to start. Once you know which cylinder has an issue you can start swapping plugs , leads , coils around.

But first measure the injectors.

When the injectors impedance on my ls3 we’re out of spec. The rough idle would come and go.

Cheers for that mate. I was just re-reading your post in another thread about checking the resistance on the injectors. Any tips or tricks there or is it a pretty straight forward task?

Also did you get any warning lights associated with the rough idle?

Cheers.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
slamNcam has not been forthcoming with a photo of his W557 conversion. Must be busy in the workshop camming a Proton Jumbuck or similar.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Wagon 37 who did the work on your wagon?
440hp at the tyres is a pretty decent number!
What are the specs of your cam if you dont mind sharing.
Also what are the specs on your exhaust and intake
Have you run it at the motorplex yet?
Sorry for all the questions.
Not having a go like some im just curious. cheers

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Cheers for that mate. I was just re-reading your post in another thread about checking the resistance on the injectors. Any tips or tricks there or is it a pretty straight forward task?

Also did you get any warning lights associated with the rough idle?

Cheers.

It is pretty straight forward, unplug the injector connector can be a bit tricky but not that bad .

I had engine light on once or twice and the code was related to cylinder misfire. But several times the idle was rough and there was no engine light. However the misfire counter was increasing on cylinders 4 and 6 if I remember well. I guess it wasn’t misfiring enough to throw a code.

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wagon 37 who did the work on your wagon?
440hp at the tyres is a pretty decent number!
What are the specs of your cam if you dont mind sharing.
Also what are the specs on your exhaust and intake
Have you run it at the motorplex yet?
Sorry for all the questions.
Not having a go like some im just curious. cheers

Sent you a PM!

It is pretty straight forward, unplug the injector connector can be a bit tricky but not that bad .

I had engine light on once or twice and the code was related to cylinder misfire. But several times the idle was rough and there was no engine light. However the misfire counter was increasing on cylinders 4 and 6 if I remember well. I guess it wasn’t misfiring enough to throw a code.

Okay cheers mate. Got an OBD2 reader on it now so will see what it says and report back with any findings.