Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS wagon manual swap. Is it possible?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Auto's always seem to be the optional gearbox, but seem to make their way as a standard feature in them...

I say this as that's what I read and hear on telly adverts.."Auto for the price of a manual"
Manuals started costing manufacturers more than automatics literally decades ago. :)
Needing to spend all the R&D time to cope with the user doing stuff with a manual that the automatic wouldn't allow to meet pollution standards as one example, etc etc.
So charging more for automatics, as some still do, is a marketing thing. Same as how the base-model car is always cheaper than it really should be compared to the top-of-the-range car which doesn't really cost that much more to bring to market; they just adjust profit across the range, make more cream off the top spec & potentially even a loss (or maybe just breaking even) on the base one.

they still flare on upshifts... and that is the main reason I won't touch an auto
I've never even tried to drive an automatic in a properly performancey way, so I don't really know what this feels like.
However in a driving-around-the-burbs way, the VF's 'box is pretty dumb, it may as well be the same thing as what was in our VS, albeit quieter & smoother in it's shifts. By comparison the ZF in the renal XR6 I drove, and the similar 'box in a workmate's 520i, would change down a gear at a time when YOU would when you were casually slowing for a turn into a sidestreet whereas the GM 'box feels like it waits 'til you get around the corner and want to accelerate before it realises it's in too numerically-high a gear & drops back. Dunno how those boxes go for 70's-style flares though.

Here's a nice auto shift in these Lexus V8's. I don't think they're DCT, they're conventional autos.
Yes Lexus have effectively proven that the automated-manual thing is primarily a marketing thing, which seems to have convinced a large portion of the market who had been mind-thinked into "real drivers only drive manual" but who were happy to drive an auto for every other reason.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
they still flare on upshifts... and that is the main reason I won't touch an auto
it is a most annoying habit and the only way to fix it is ..manual control of an auto
bit of an oxymoron that :(
Only (maybe) the first upshift on a cold engine and trans on very light throttle in normal mode.
Driving in Sport mode has a great potential for losing your licence... :cool:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Yes Lexus have effectively proven that the automated-manual thing is primarily a marketing thing, which seems to have convinced a large portion of the market who had been mind-thinked into "real drivers only drive manual" but who were happy to drive an auto for every other reason.
It isn't possible to reliably get H pattern manual gearbox shifts as fast as a DCT which in fact are manual gearbox configuration with gear sets, synchro hubs and shift forks and electronic clutches and shifter. BMW discovered in 2007, that a 7 speed DCT in the E90 M3 was faster than a 6 speed H pattern manual everywhere, 1/4-mile standing starts, race circuits. etc. The only manual gearbox that'll match a DCT is a sequential like the V8 Supercar and motorbike gearboxes you can flat change.

Since then, they've worked at simulating the DCT or sequential manual shift speed into close ratio automatics and Lexus have done a good job with their shift calibrations. I think the 10 speed auto Mustangs are faster than a manual and unlike the old days where manuals were faster, the quick shift automatics today have proven to be the superior option for maximum speed and acceleration.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I've drove a few performance Euros and there is something thrilling about those quick autos as they throw you back in the seat during those lightning changes, but and I do mean a big but, I'd rather be a little slower and enjoy the immersion a clutch and manual box gives.

I know I probably sound like dinosaur, but I love that ole fashion engagement.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I've drove a few performance Euros and there is something thrilling about those quick autos as they throw you back in the seat during those lightning changes, but and I do mean a big but, I'd rather be a little slower and enjoy the immersion a clutch and manual box gives.

I know I probably sound like dinosaur, but I love that ole fashion engagement.

yep same as hunting is more fun with a bolt action rifle and not a semiauto, sure the semiauto is fun but its just not hunting

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
It isn't possible to reliably get H pattern manual gearbox shifts as fast as a DCT which in fact are manual gearbox configuration with gear sets, synchro hubs and shift forks and electronic clutches and shifter. BMW discovered in 2007, that a 7 speed DCT in the E90 M3 was faster than a 6 speed H pattern manual everywhere, 1/4-mile standing starts, race circuits. etc. The only manual gearbox that'll match a DCT is a sequential like the V8 Supercar and motorbike gearboxes you can flat change.

Since then, they've worked at simulating the DCT or sequential manual shift speed into close ratio automatics and Lexus have done a good job with their shift calibrations. I think the 10 speed auto Mustangs are faster than a manual and unlike the old days where manuals were faster, the quick shift automatics today have proven to be the superior option for maximum speed and acceleration.

IIRC, when Ferrari announced they weren't making manuals anymore, it was coz no human could shift faster than their replacement.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
IIRC, when Ferrari announced they weren't making manuals anymore, they claimed it was coz no human could shift faster than their replacement but in reality it now meant they could sell to all those automatic buyers who didn’t want to be seen driving an automatic Ferrari
FTFY! :)

It isn't possible to reliably get H pattern manual gearbox shifts as fast as a DCT … and Lexus have done a good job with their shift calibrations. I think the 10 speed auto Mustangs are faster than a manual
I’m pretty sure the Lexus 10spd slushbox shifts more quickly & is lighter than a DSG, although that may have been when the Lexus ‘box was released & the DSG might have improved since.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
Often ive thought for an SS id always go a manual......then I remember in a past life I flew light aircraft for a time. And that was enough "Manual" for me to last most of a life time. But ya never know :)

The MY17 trans programming is the best yet.

Even on an SV6, it does pretty darn good for what it is, especially when youre going for a spirited drive through the hills and get it to kick into "Performance Shift Active" mode

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Is the programming stock or have you had it tuned?

Still stock! I had the Maloo trans done when the engine was tuned, but the MY17 program is much better.
I would love a copy flashed into the other 2 utes.