Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Ute "New Car Replacement" value

Wood Dust

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
Why couldn't the replacement cost be the cost of replacing the lost 2016 SV6 Black with a 2016 SV6 Black in similar condition/mileage, in that case?

"No similar new car exists, we cannot provide one, therefore we pay you to replace what was lost"?
Reverts to a Market Value policy, if no new replacement exists ... ?
Spoke to them about this. They only offer new vehicles. If I don’t like their choice I get the cash - which is reasonable, since I paid for a new car replacement policy

Wood Dust

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
Hahaha :p

Yeah, I haven't looked at any of them in the flesh, just a quick google for this thread, but even that was a strain as i don't like these trucks. I find them all rather boring and couldn't even bring myself to look at one a year ago when getting my car serviced at the dealer... Sad there was absolutely nothing of interest in the Holden show room back then... Yet people still pay $70K for these trucks.... Stupid, maybe but I guess some see a need for buying one :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've gone through such "new for old" arguments with insurance companies in the past. Obviously they want to minimise their claim costs and will try anything they can but they can't expect you to take a product with a reduced feature set because it's cheaper for them. They have to follow the wording and also the "new for old" intent of the product they sold...

The fact is car based utes are no longer available, one can't look at something directly similar as it doesn't exist. If one still wants to be able to carry large objects in a tray/bed, then one has to look at a truck based ute (if you call them that).

Frustratingly vehicle variants are packaged in odd ways by manufacturers so they make money by steering people into the more expensive models. That's just how the market works. That was the case in the VF ute and that's the case for the Colorado and that will continue to be the case.

Maintaining the SV6 Black's feature set must be the goal. Any extra features like 4x4, ACP/AA, massaging seats, etc aren't relevant as they can't be excluded since the manufacturer has structured their model variants in a particular way. It's all part of the upsell. Maintaining the SV6 Black feature set is the driver here. If it means one has to step into an LT-Z (in the extreme), so be it. If Holden has packaged the Colorado in a way that makes it a LS-X $50k or LT-Z $70k + ORC proposition so one can maintain sat nav, leather seats, hud, climate, alloy wheels, go fast strips, etc, well that's what I'd be pushing for. The insurance company should just suck it up as they wrote the "new for old" policy.

As more ammunition, i'd factor current used 2016 SV6 Black prices and uplift that based normal depreciation rates to calculate a corresponding hypothetical new car price (which is around $50K). That would act as another lever to convince the clerk that maybe $50k isn't so extreem.

I think $50K payout may be achievable as a settlement and that's what i'd be pushing :p I may or may not get that as I may indeed settle for less but I'd never state my bottom line to an insurance company. That would be like showing ones cards in a round of poker before bets are all down (not a good idea if your holding a royal flush) :eek:
Hoping to hear from them by Friday. Have to say I’ve been happy with GIO in the past (with respect to household insurance), so I’m hoping for an amicable negotiation. Thanks for the ideas on negotiating points - I suspect they will come in very handy

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The stuff you listed as features can be bought in a Colorado that costs less than $37k ... what costs more is a model with the climate-controlled air, more than a 2-speaker stereo, alloy wheels, SatNav (Black got that didn't it?), seats that you can sit in for more than 10 minutes without having a chiro on speed-dial, stuff like that.
Yeah, I’ve not looked at Colorado features as I’m not interested in that truck.

Yes, the 2016 SV6 has dual zone climate control, CD radio, 18” alloy wheels.

Wood Dust

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
The stuff you listed as features can be bought in a Colorado that costs less than $37k ... what costs more is a model with the climate-controlled air, more than a 2-speaker stereo, alloy wheels, SatNav (Black got that didn't it?), seats that you can sit in for more than 10 minutes without having a chiro on speed-dial, stuff like that.
You are freaking me out! An optioned Colorado for less than $37k!!!
yep, Black has sat nav, hud, mags, a good stereo, remote start etc

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thought it had hud but it wasn’t listed on the spec sheet I found on www.

If colorado doesn’t have push button start, look at a corvette, I’m sure they can be converted back to a fast ute :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It isn’t clear to me when I say no, if they will pay me the $37k plus orc or the Colorado dollars. Obviously I’ll be going Colorado dollars!
The snippet you posted states what it would have cost them to replace the vehicle or the amount listed on the certificate of insurance, whichever is the higher...

Wood Dust

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
Thought it had hud but it wasn’t listed on the spec sheet I found on www.

If colorado doesn’t have push button start, look at a corvette, I’m sure they can be converted back to a fast ute :p
Ummm, I do have a large angle grinder, that could work. Good thinking

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What I meant was that the options you mentioned are worth nothing & can be applied to a car which will cost you $15k drive-away.
The like-for-like thing means you want to be given a replacement car with SatNav at least, a stereo that's not just 2-speaker, climate-controlled air, probably alloys. Remote start is a bit of a joke so I think they'd ignore that; I reckon with the HUD, though, that's the most useful feature you've listed & I'd be surprised if any Colorado has it.