Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Wagon Revival

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T / HJ Ute / VF2 R8
2 victims. Can't be that hard can it?

Surely just throwing bits at it isn't the right way to diagnose??? Can you buy a basic scan tool and log a few things. Start with fuel pressure. Goodness, for the cost of the fuel pump install that you might not even need you could be up and running with your own software and tuning it yourself.

@kleanphil O2 sensors are not used during start up regardless of engine coolant temp. You're open loop for at least 10 seconds depending on O2 enable conditions.

Generally after a cam swap and once the tuner has got MAF / VE tables sorted, they will then add a few g/s to the startup airflow table, add a few g/s to the minimum idle airflow in the lower rpm columns, maybe add 30 or so Nm to the throttle follower lower rpm columns depending on idle MAP. For a a mid cam, they'll take a bit of adaptive spark out and for the bigger cams may need to hit the cranking fuel / air table for restarts and also spend a bit of time with step up / step down throttle follower settings.

That is really all there is to it on these GM Gen 4 ECU's. Once you exceed the limits of the ECM's axis with 900+hp things get a bit harder, axis rescaling, double stoic half injector flow rate methods, torque management deletes etc. But for the dime a dozen street tune, they're very simple. Much easier than the Barra PCM.

In America a lot of guys work and tune their own cars. For some reason in Australia, everyone thinks that a workshop has to do everything except the most simplest of tasks, and that only performance workshops can tune. Take control guys.

Reactions: Lex

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
I am hoping that just changing the fuel pump wont require a retune?

I have never played with my own scan tool. I guess it's just fear of stuffing something up. is there one you can recommend?

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If they said the pump is stuffed, and it does it hot or cold, then how well or bad was the that pump running when on the dyno? Can't say without the log they would have been looking at.

I've got a cheap Kogan Chinese blue tooth one that does the job when I'm not using Hptuners. I'll plug it into mine later today and see if I get fuel pressure as a valid PID.

hjtrbo

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheap Kogan or any other clone ELM327 will do the job with the Car Scanner App (Android)

Quick cold start with RPM and (rock solid) fuel pressure. If you're fuel pressure is looking like as shown here and it struggles to start you're wasting money throwing a pump at it.

1631240316094.png
20210910_120316.jpg
Screenshot_20210910-122118_One UI Home.jpg