Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vf2 battery life

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Yes, VE OMEGA, VE COMMODORE, VE INTERNATIONAL, other variants. There is no room in the VF engine bay for the quite large battery, hence it is shoehorned into its "cupboard" up the back. Simplifies servicing too.
I had an old Sunbeam sports car years ago with the battery hidden under the rear "seat" (actually a bench). Strange arrangement since there was plenty of room under the bonnet, since the engine was so small in capacity and hence, size.
The story was that it improved the weight distribution front to back. To me it was a dashed nuisance and the terminal plus the long posituve cable regularly shorted out. Battery was cool though. Changed the battery every year, since it kept dying from all of the problems.
Company cars after that, usually Falcons, batteries good for 2 years - lots of heat. Other cars were Holdens, say 3 years battery life in VN, VR, VS, VT. But stuffed after 2 years from abuse and general punishment for not being the V8 model.
cars I own are big step up to VYs, VZs etc where the battery lasted 4 years or so. Bit of heat seems to kill them eventually.
Now, the battery in my VFs goes forever.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I had an old Sunbeam sports car years ago with the battery hidden under the rear "seat" (actually a bench). Strange arrangement since there was plenty of room under the bonnet, since the engine was so small in capacity and hence, size.
Did they call you Max or 86 :p

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Battery was cool though. Changed the battery every year, since it kept dying from all of the problems.

Decades ago a mate who was into Jags was having problems with batteries in his XJ12 (I think it was... he had a few different models over the years).

Long story short: the car was fitted with a dedicated battery cooler which wasn't working.

Those days there was no internet to check and most people I knew worked on their cars themselves so it took a while to sort out why the battery was getting hot.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Decades ago a mate who was into Jags was having problems with batteries in his XJ12 (I think it was... he had a few different models over the years).

Long story short: the car was fitted with a dedicated battery cooler which wasn't working.

Those days there was no internet to check and most people I knew worked on their cars themselves so it took a while to sort out why the battery was getting hot.
If you are one of the few people (like me) who watch "Wheeler Dealers" on 9Rush, you may have seen this exact battery cooler issue on an older Jag. My memory says that in that case, the bimetallic switch (thermostat) mechanism just needed a clean. An elegant and simple solution for heat, typically British.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute

yes i too have seen some jags that have a small fan , like a windscreen washer motor size that blows air over the battery to keep it cool, its i factory set up
most likely the heat over time boils out the acid, so the battery goes dry
i must be old but i always preferred the old style batteries that you could top up
but i guess now who wants to go to the trouble and mess when maintenance free give no trouble and last so long
i was amazed to see on youtube battery reconditioning in pakistan
working on dirt floors and with primitive hand tools pull apart battery cases and plates , clean and reassemble and pour new lead terminals, all in bare feet,
how lucky we are when we need a new battery

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
2013 VF Series 1 with 185k on the clock original battery still going strong. Notice that our VE Series 2 ute and the VF wagon batteries which are original and still going strong are made in Australia while the battery in the Motorsport is made in the Philippines. This is dissapointing as Century batteries which are still made in Australia and they make a battery for the VE/VF commodore

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Notice that our VE Series 2 ute and the VF wagon batteries which are original and still going strong are made in Australia while the battery in the Motorsport is made in the Philippines...
Great, more cost cutting in what was Holdens most expensive commodore :eek: Not looking forward to shorter battery life :confused:

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
These ones also like to leak, causing rust issues in the battery area

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Went to start the VE ute yesterday and woo wooh and battery was a bit sad. Then noticed that the interior light was left on hence the sad battery. Got the ctek battery charger out, put in on recond AGM battery mode and several hours later the battery is all good again and car starts first time without issue. This battery charger is worth every cent and accommodates human failings. Note this issue would not have occurred with both our VF's as they will shut down any power sources after 10 mins saving the battery. This can be painful if you used to like to listen to the radio or music when you washed the car but now cannot do this.