Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 driving around without the key???

NatedoggVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
I'm a new member and this is my first post so go easy on me! And I'm not sure if this has been discussed...

I have the VF2 so keyless everything applies. I decided to test the car and see if it would drive after starting the car with the key in it then removing the key. I got a message saying the the remote couldn't be detected but other than that the car drove normally and I tested to about 1km away from the key. My mate had the key on the side of the road.

One of the benefits I've noticed with the keyless setup is that you can park at the shops, leave the car running, lock the doors and take the key with you.

But this is a potential security issue I would have thought? For instance if I left the engine running and forgot to lock the doors and walked away for a few minutes. Anyone could jump in it and drive away. Touch wood this never happen!

Thoughts on this? Or has anyone asked Holden about it?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hi Nate.
Good Q. The doors auto lock. Yeah? But still, if someone were to smash a window, or get in somehow, I suppose they could drive off?

NatedoggVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Yeah for sure. The ability to auto lock is there but can be turned off. It's a scary thought.

Striker the only reason I have done this in the past is on a hot day to keep the a/c on when I've ran into the shops for a few minutes. Other than that there isn't really a reason.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I start mine all the time with the remote. Great in summer. I start in from my office, 2 stories up and quite a distance away. When I jump in, the aircon is already cool.
I wouldn't leave it idling at the shops though...Without the remote, it shuts down when shifted out of park, as you probably know.

NatedoggVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
Yeah good point. I do the same in the morning in winter for the heater as I'm usually leaving early around 5am. But after testing it today I will certainly avoid leaving it idling at shops or anywhere else!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah for sure. The ability to auto lock is there but can be turned off. It's a scary thought.

Striker the only reason I have done this in the past is on a hot day to keep the a/c on when I've ran into the shops for a few minutes. Other than that there isn't really a reason.
Turn it off. Then remote remote start it?
Stroker1 is right. Why would you? When you think about It, it's like leaving it idling with the keys in the ignition.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Turn it off. Then remote remote start it?
Stroker1 is right. Why would you? When you think about It, it's like leaving it idling with the keys in the ignition.

Not an option to remote start when you have a manual.

I've left it idling out the front of the house in the morning after moving it out of the garage whilst I close everything up, but I always get out and lock it with the remote before I head back in the house. It also gives the chance for the car to get up to operating temperature before driving too much.

I don't leave it idling at shops though.

NatedoggVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
All really good points. I certainly won't be leaving it idling at shops anymore after testing my drive away theory today.