Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 fuel consumption

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
I shudder at E10, not good for an LS3, luckily my company fuel card let me use at least 91 unleaded and better. Like you, I do a fair bit of k's for work.

I have a VF2 Redline sedan and keep the same sort of data in my phone with the Fuelio app. I drive around Sydney, mixed city and highway.

Whats interesting is that I've recently discovered that I get better economy on the whole from my local BP with 98 ultimate. So I'll stay with BP for a couple tanks and then try a random Caltex again to see if theres a change.

Fuel.jpg
In my experience, BP ultimate is head and shoulders above other 98s, however apparently the new blend 98 vortex, released in March I think, is also very good. There is no BP in my town, so it's a 48 k drive to the nearest, oh no... I will have to drive my Redline LS3 again? Damn lol

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
In my experience, BP ultimate is head and shoulders above other 98s
Are you basing this off your fuel consumption during tanks of Ultimate vs something like Shell V-Power or the existing Caltex Vortex?

I've mostly always gone Shell V-Power with the occasional Caltex Vortex due to points accruing from Woolworths shopping :) We don't have a decently priced BP in the area, which I'd use in order to get the Velocity points up.

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
In my experience, BP ultimate is head and shoulders above other 98s, however apparently the new blend 98 vortex, released in March I think, is also very good. There is no BP in my town, so it's a 48 k drive to the nearest, oh no... I will have to drive my Redline LS3 again? Damn lol
Any information on the Vortex fuel? I used to use Caltex 98 on a previous vehicle as I had a Caltex fuel card... however when I put BP in it I would consistently get a higher number of km. With my current vehicle, I always use BP 98, but recently I had the need to put a couple of tankfuls of Caltex 98 in and I actually seemed to get more km that the BP fuel.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Are you basing this off your fuel consumption during tanks of Ultimate vs something like Shell V-Power or the existing Caltex Vortex?

I've mostly always gone Shell V-Power with the occasional Caltex Vortex due to points accruing from Woolworths shopping :) We don't have a decently priced BP in the area, which I'd use in order to get the Velocity points up.
I use the fuel which best suits the car I own at the time, clearly that takes a few months to sort out, seat of the pants feel, throttle response, willingness to Rev out, top end power, and of course economy figures, especially where there is no.. Hmmmm.. spirited... Driving included. however in nearly every case BP ultimate wins out with (old) vortex second and shell a distant 3rd, new vortex should fair well too, I would still rather use any 98 over anything else, purely for the benefits to internals and filters, and if I was overly concerned about fuel economy I would own a Tesla, in the end the difference between 98 fuels is purely down to how much energy per litre they carry regardless stated octane, it is my understanding BP ultimate is slightly more energy rich, certainly makes sense if you look at say a months figures on one fuel, as opposed to tank after tank of different juice. Each to their own though.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I shudder at E10, not good for an LS3, luckily my company fuel card let me use at least 91 unleaded and better. Like you, I do a fair bit of k's for work.
Your LS3 will love e10, in fact it will go harder and further on e10 at 94 RON than dirty 91 unleaded.
Why is it you propose e10 is not good for an LS3, technically?

Crom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Just thought I'd add to this thread after a weekend away. Running BP 95. First trip in my series 2 Redline. Adelaide to Mount Gambier return. Sat on about 112 km/h.

Total round trip of 931 km's. Fuel economy of 10.3 L/100km. That's better than my VF S1 ute I had previously. So, right now my S2 is a bit thirstier around town, but better on the open road.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
just noticed my post from early last year..gee I miss those fuel consumption figures of 15.5 in the LS3...currently at 23.6/100kms in the LSA lol.. :confused:

Oh well you only live once!
Wow!...and I notice the Senator is a week-ender??...must be week-ends when you do far better than that??
Our LS3 unintentionally became a week-ender when we unexpectedly inheredited a Mazda 3 less than 6 months after purchasing the SS...so now the LS3 rarely sees above 12 with mainly mixed Highway driving. A fortnight ago we did a 2k return trip to Sydney via Pacific Highway and got a low of 9.5 on the 500km setting but that was with 4 adults & fully loaded. Didn’t quite compare with the 9.2 over similar distances when we did the return trip to Bathurst last Oct but that was with 2 adults, less luggage & via New England Highway. Used to get low 7s in the previous SV6 sedans but the difference in comfort, lazy acceleration & humming along the open ride at 115 kph is simply amazing (having never owned an 8 previously).

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Wow!...and I notice the Senator is a week-ender??...must be week-ends when you do far better than that??

To be fair it's only done 3500kms in six months and a lot are stop-start. On a freeway trip it's only moderately worse than the LS3 was, and given time and more open road driving it should come down from that 23.6 figure.

If I was driving everyday and I was getting that figure then it would be a pain, but given the kms I do, a tank lasts three weeks and the old VS hardly uses any in comparison, so it kind of balances out I guess. And I plan on reducing its kms to As few as possible over the longer term anyway....hopefully lol..

Funnily enough, I had an old 253 VB Commodore, and I reckon pound for pound that was worse on juice than the Senator lol.

Anyway none of us bought 8cyl cars to worry a great deal about fuel economy, so drive on I say!!

Last edited: