Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF2 Redline Ute after market wheels

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
Hi guy's I have just purchased a new VF2 SSV Redline ute. And well I love the look of the car just not keen on the current 19" wheels, so I am looking at getting Vossen VFS5 wheels 20x9 front and 20x10 rear but I see Holden have offsets of 48 & 57 just want to know if anyone with after market wheels and car lowered have any problems with wheels rubbing on the inside of the wheel wells?
I will get the guards rolled.
I would like to know what other offsets people are running on their Commodores and if you have any rubbing of the tyres in the wheel wells.

Cheers

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
run a stretched tyre if your going 10s , dont go the 275 , from memory the vf guard lining is double thickness and no one will roll them with warranty , can't remember if they can be rolled without trouble

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Had my VF2 rolled no worries.
No double thickness I can see.
I'm having issues getting 20x10 rims for my sedan.
It seems that only HSV wheels fit right.
I wanna keep the 275 tyre too.
The issue is the rear Bembro, apparently they are larger than most brakes.
So by the time you push the rim out to clear it, the rim edge is nearly level with the guard.
Have been told offset 40 on some rims will work, but they can't guarantee no s rubbing if I hook a boat up to tow.
The concave rims are the hardest to fit.
I hate the stretched tyre look and Tekno Performance are trying to work out some measurements to make it work.
If only the HSV rims weren't so ugly....they'd be perfect.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
A 295 tyre will fit a 20x10 inch rear with the guards rolled and without any rubbing if the offsets are correct.

A 285/30R30 rear will easily fit and will look very good when mated to a 255/35R20 front tyre.

If you are going for a rear rim over 10 inches wide or with an aggressive offset you may need to consider the stretched looked.

After you find a rim style you like your major priority is to ensure the rim clears the brake callipers that is then followed by getting the right offset and in both these cases ‘made to order’ will have many benefits over ‘off the shelf’ varieties.

There are a number of members running Vossens and waynebatt has the following sizes fitted.

Vossen VFS-1
Front
20x9 with a +35 offset and 255/35R20 tyres

Rear
20x10 with a +45 offset and 275/35R20 tyres

If you go for a +50 offset on the rear you’ll be able to fit a much wider tyre which will give the car a fat look from behind.

arronm

Reaction score
Members Ride
FPV F6 VF Redline WGN
Vossen-VFS5-Gloss-Graphite-Web.jpg

VFS-5 looks like a nice wheel in graphite. While the VFS isnt a truly forged wheel, the manufacturing method does produce a stronger wheel than say the cast CV series

I see they make them in a 20 inch 8.5 9.0 9.5 and 10. Maybe a good combo would be 8.5 front with 245/35/20 and 9.5 rear 285/30/20. +40 on the front and +45 - +50 on the rear. Just need to make sure they clear the brembo.

If your wallet is fat check out theses. They probably offer you any offset you like. made to order.....

RSV Forged

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Totally agree that a 10 inch rear's optimum offset is +50. Most after market wheel companies are churning out offsets that they think might fit a wide range of vehicles, their not unfortunately specific to the commodore.

Caliper clearance is more to do with spoke design not offset - a common mistake by most people.

Do your research and get it right and don't look like one of those fools running around with the rim sticking out and the dangerously narrow tire looking like is struggling to maintain a seal.

A 295 tyre will fit a 20x10 inch rear with the guards rolled and without any rubbing if the offsets are correct.

A 285/30R30 rear will easily fit and will look very good when mated to a 255/35R20 front tyre.

If you are going for a rear rim over 10 inches wide or with an aggressive offset you may need to consider the stretched looked.

After you find a rim style you like your major priority is to ensure the rim clears the brake callipers that is then followed by getting the right offset and in both these cases ‘made to order’ will have many benefits over ‘off the shelf’ varieties.

There are a number of members running Vossens and waynebatt has the following sizes fitted.

Vossen VFS-1
Front

Rear

If you go for a +50 offset on the rear you’ll be able to fit a much wider tyre which will give the car a fat look from behind.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Totally agree that a 10 inch rear's optimum offset is +50. Most after market wheel companies are churning out offsets that they think might fit a wide range of vehicles, their not unfortunately specific to the commodore.

Caliper clearance is more to do with spoke design not offset - a common mistake by most people.

Do your research and get it right and don't look like one of those fools running around with the rim sticking out and the dangerously narrow tire looking like is struggling to maintain a seal.

You’re correct and that's why it’s the first thing that should be determined after choosing a style and before worrying about offsets.

There are a number of ways to get this info and of course the easiest is to see the rims you like on the same car as yours with the same brake package but this will limit your search.

The other is to speak with the manufacturer or distributor.

A local distributor should already know which rims they supply fit which applications and the good and bad of those fitments.

If you dealing direct with an overseas manufacturer then they will give you the details of their rim centres so you can make sure that they don’t foul the calliper. You may also need to help them by suppling dimensions of your setup.

This is where being handy with a tape and straight edge comes into play as you measure up your hubs, brake disks and callipers, inner and outer guards, suspension components so you can talk to the manufacturers and distributors. The measuring up is not hard as it is mainly common sense. While you do this you will also gather the info needed to assess suitable offsets.

I’ve had quite a few made to order 3 piece rims and I always prefer to measure up myself even if it’s just for peace of mind.

The Vossens the OP has chosen are a glorified cast rim and I think you’re more or less locked into whatever it is they supply as offsets. They are known to fit over the brakes on a VF2 Redline so he is halfway home on that score but like you’ve said they are not made with the Commodore in mind so whether he is happy with the look the offsets offer is a matter of choice.

Wanyebatt has a liveable setup with his Vossens that may suit the OP and without being critical if I was having them made to order I’d change the rear offsets to +50 and maybe even adjust the fronts a little.

I always see a 285/30R20 rear and a 255/35R20 front as a good grippy tyre combo on a Commodore.

And if you wish to have almost identical O/D’s then a 285/30R20 rear and a 245/35R20 front is perfect.

An 8.5 or 9 inch rim will work with the 245 or 255 and a 10 inch rim will work with 275 or 285.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Don't run big wheels combined with dumping it on its guts and it's not an issue.

Rikes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline

Vossen VFS-1
Front

Rear

Would love to see a pic of them.
Nice wheels, what sort of money do they go for?
Hard to find a wheel 20x10 with an offset higher than +40
Having trouble finding some to clear the rear Bembros. Koya SF04 the closest so far.