Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VIC: calling p platers who have had instant licence losses for speeding

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hakhawk, Apr 4, 2007.

1. VicCop

VicCop Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Commodore SV6 SII
    Can't really escape that one here:

217. Probationary drivers must have "P" plates
    (1) A probationary driver must not drive a motor
    vehicle (other than a tractor) on a highway unless
    a "P" plate is conspicuously displayed—
    (a) in the case of a motor cycle or motor trike,
    facing out from the rear of the motor cycle or
    motor trike; or
    (b) in any other case, facing out from the front
    and rear of the motor vehicle.

And for those who like to cut or modify them to blend in with your other pretty stickers:

"P plate" means—
    (a) in relation to a probationary driver who
    is the holder of a probationary driver
    licence, a plate measuring
    approximately 150 millimetres by
    150 millimetres that has a white letter
    "P" clearly marked on a red
    background;

So if you have anything other than that it's not a 'P' plate and the offence is 'Fail to Display P Plates'.

The argument has also come up on other forums about police members who are on a 'P' licence and do they have to wear the plates when they are working? Here's your answer:

(3) Sub-regulation (1) does not apply to a person who
    is—
    (a) a member of the police force who, in the
    course of duty, is driving a motor vehicle;

I love the law.

2. VicCop

VicCop Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Commodore SV6 SII
    No actually, it depends on your mood.

3. Misaprop

Misaprop black betty

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    I escaped that one under something, the magistrate called 'Section 10' which is like a one time only chance for a first offender. Not sure if Vic has that

4. VNexecutive

VNexecutive New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Calais 5L
    its gotta swing both ways with that one.

that coppa law that they dont have to display p plates whilst on duty is pretty cool.. lucky coppers haha

5. VicCop

VicCop Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Commodore SV6 SII
    Just like rule no. 305 - that's the one that says we can blow red lights and speed.

6. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    I'm going to translate how it feels to be pulled over so you understand (from the innocent drivers point of view)

<greenfoam inside brain> peace and happyness to the world, do be do, ooops don't hit that rabbit, watch that Koala drive a bit slower so I don't get sad from killing moths, follow speed limit, dip beams before the other car can generaly thinking man you are the ace safe driver :D :thumbsup:

WEEOP WEEEEEP (cops siren)
    <greenfoam inside brain>GO GOG GOOGOGO you can outrun that spastic van in the VP! FOR SURE! :):):)
    <greenfoam outside reaction> slowly drive on for a while then decide to pull over
    <greenfoam inside brain> What a *BITCH* of a guy

<police> can I have your license
    <greenfoam outside reaction> hands license over
    <greenfoam inside brain>SOB wasting my time

<police> do you have a firearm
    <greenfoam outside reaction> ?@!#?????????????? no
    <greenfoam inside brain> WISH I DID! :ranting: #%$@#%@ sob

<police> ok have a good night
    <greenfoam outside reaction> shaking in bezerker rage
    <greenfoam inside brain> do a massive peeling burnout as you leave!!:D
    <greenfoam outside reaction>drive off slow and save the sideways hormone leveling anger for a few corners later

That might sound funny but that's what happens to me and I guess most people when I get pulled over, it's amazing the effect being told to do something you don't want to do by someone you don't know/don't care about/don't want to have anything to do with can do for your mental state in about 10 seconds flat :).

So just have some kind of understanding that people are going to be in a bad mood but it is absolutely 100% because of _YOU_ the puller overa bad attitude is not something Humans and other forms of life have while going about there normal life (untill they are disturbed)

1vngal likes this.
  7. pandaman

pandaman Aussie Muscle Fan

Members Ride:
    VN Berlina 5.0 A4
    So you're saying police officers are completely above human emotion? Woah, that's a neat trick, wish I could do that. Fact is everyone has bad days, and when a highway patrol cop is having a bad day he is capable of taking it out on people in a way that seriosuly affects them. I've been fined twice and thankfully on both occasions there was respect and good manners flowing both directions. (I was also 100% in the wrong both times so I didn't have much choice, just glad the ossifers saw fit not to tear my licence to shreds in front of me) ;) In the majority of situations I'm sure this is the case, but it is not always so. Sometimes a driver is in a bad mood/being a total tool, and in other cases the copper is as well. You guys do a tough job and on the whole you do great things for society, but you're imperfect, just like everyone else. :)

PS: Foam seems to have a bit of an anti-authority trip going on, but he makes a decent point. It's never nice being pulled over when you're clearly doing nothing wrong and just minding your own business. I can see why it's necessary, but it still doesn't feel good.

8. greenfoam

greenfoam New Member

Members Ride:
    VP Executive R-spec
    Yeah maybe I'm more anti authority than most people but that's just how I feel when I get pulled over :) I'm sure there are many other people just like me around

9. Tasmaniak

Tasmaniak Not a valid input....

Members Ride:
    VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
    same thing happened to me. Except after I ended up losing a total of 13 points in one sitting. Once my 12 months was up I recieved the option of 6months or 1 for 12.

10. vlv8vic

vlv8vic <---Brad Quaid = internet stalker

Members Ride:
    M5
    i guess with the displayting p-plates thing it's up to the driver to ensure they are up and aren't going to fall off. Some of them do fall off, but you CAN stop it happening!

My windows were too dark, i was politely reminded that i could be fined because they weren't visible enough so i moved it to the back bumper... where a week later i was told it wasn't visible enough. Moved it to the outside of the rear window and taped it down good and proper. it didn't budge for the last 12 months of my time. I kept a spare in the glovebox just in case someone ripped off my window one.

11. Emackulation

Emackulation Banned

Members Ride:
    '92 HSV VP GTS
    Well, I have 11 days and counting left on my current 12 month good behavior lisence. I just recently buoght Reapers HSV VP GTS and it will be on its way in a week. I need to be extra carefull to not to slip up because if I do I jeperdise my future with my new GTS. Im going to be so glad getting my points back, i can relax a little more on the roads and really injoy driving that little bit more. Well, alot more now sitting inside my HSV. :D

12. vlv8vic

vlv8vic <---Brad Quaid = internet stalker

Members Ride:
    M5
    how do you mean relax? like risk breaking the law again? it shouldn't be any different in 2 weeks to what it is now. Law isn't changing, safety isn't changing, roads aren't changing, physics isn't changing so why should your driving style?

13. AttaBoy

AttaBoy WTF?!?!

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim V6
    Police have moods too, cos they are human. So it does not mean it depends only on the driver's mood. Think about it.

Everyone could have a bad day and that can affect on what they do.

I got pulled over twice for check up within a period of 3 weeks. - Two different officers, One is alright the other is such a *sshole.

So no it does not just depend on the driver.

14. VicCop

VicCop Member

Members Ride:
    2011 Commodore SV6 SII
    Well I can only speak for myself. I can say that 99 out of 100 drivers I speak to are easy to deal with. I have bad days at the office as well, but when I'm dealing with someone on the road that has nothing to do with my hassles I'm having elsewhere, I'm completely in the zone.

15. Ripcell

Ripcell R8 FTW!!!

Members Ride:
    324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
    exactly, depends on the cops mood and your attitude, i always respect em and talk to em, their always reasonable, if ur a cu*t to them, then they will be a prick back

16. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    This perfectly explains most peoples mentailty these days :whistling

17. metalfossil

metalfossil Member

i have to agree with minux. there are just too many idiots driving on the road. I oughta know, I used to be one of them. I learned my lesson, though. I see how(or how i used to be) and I just cringe...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  18. Misaprop

Misaprop black betty

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    From my experience the younger officers tend to be more forceful than the older ones...

The older officers also seem to know what to say to you to make you really understand how badly you stuffed up. When I got caught speeding the officer was very calm and polite, but I felt so embarassed and ashamed after that talk. I still remember our chat every single day.

19. hakhawk

hakhawk smooth moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
    just thought id dig this ancient thread up and let everyone know that today was the last day of my 12 month 1 point restriction, and not a single hassle from mr plod.

only things changed on the car were the plates and tailgate(both went on the vp), i didnt really change my driving style, sat on the speed limit, sometimes a few ks over/under, passed a few cops, went past a heap of radars, and not a glance.

so, to the few people who didnt think 12 months without losing a point would be doable, you might want to try harder, or buy a pushie!!

20. Bravotwozero

Bravotwozero New Member

Members Ride:
    MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
    Well done mate. Yeah 12 months isn't that hard. I went 5 years without any points and I DO speed!

I lost my license instantly when I was on my P's as well. But this is going back 11 years when P platers got the full 12 points. But I did have my P's extended for another 12 months. That didn't really bother me though.