Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vk 202 auto to manual conversion

single pegga pig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk SL
Hey all, I have myself an 84, carby black 202 vk wagon.
Sadly, it's an auto and I'm wanting to get some advice on manual conversions as I've never done one before.

Treat me as if I know nothing on the subject, because I don't.
I need to know what I'll need, where I'd look to find what I need and roughly how long a job like this might take with a helping hand or two.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Hey welcome,

Firstly if you only want to have a simple manual gearbox behind your EST 202 then find a cheap M20 (4sp holden tri-matic bolt pattern, flywheel, clutch, bell-housing) then it’s a bolt in with the right pedal box & cable etc. By pass the neutral switch find a manual console insert, lever then you should be ok. Or look for a 5sp Toyota g/box & adopter plate (or drilled bell housing) which is sufficient for a 202/253/308 in std trim (a great trans for the money)

If you have higher aspirations then look for the right trans for the application ie T5/T56/TKO etc if you go hydraulic then a 6 cylinder pedal box will be ox. LS1/2 etc. BUT don’t bother until you’re fitting the final engine choice.

It’s not cheap but it’s a lot more cost effective only doing it one.

If you have all the bits & technically minded a weekend and a box (24 of the finest imported cold beers) that will do.

Good luck.

single pegga pig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk SL
Hey welcome,

Firstly if you only want to have a simple manual gearbox behind your EST 202 then find a cheap M20 (4sp holden tri-matic bolt pattern, flywheel, clutch, bell-housing) then it’s a bolt in with the right pedal box & cable etc. By pass the neutral switch find a manual console insert, lever then you should be ok. Or look for a 5sp Toyota g/box & adopter plate (or drilled bell housing) which is sufficient for a 202/253/308 in std trim (a great trans for the money)

If you have higher aspirations then look for the right trans for the application ie T5/T56/TKO etc if you go hydraulic then a 6 cylinder pedal box will be ox. LS1/2 etc. BUT don’t bother until you’re fitting the final engine choice.

It’s not cheap but it’s a lot more cost effective only doing it one.

If you have all the bits & technically minded a weekend and a box (24 of the finest imported cold beers) that will do.

Good luck.
Cheers for the reply mate, how about the tailshaft? I've heard manual and auto are different, but I've also heard they're the same, and do you know if many vh parts will suit for a vk manual conversion? I have a contact that has a couple vh's

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Cheers for the reply mate, how about the tailshaft? I've heard manual and auto are different, but I've also heard they're the same, and do you know if many vh parts will suit for a vk manual conversion? I have a contact that has a couple vh's
You should be able to use most if not all the manual parts from a VH into a VK (as long as the engine/gearbox options are the same). Only issue I can see if it's a late model VK; then the rear axle could be a Borg Warner (BW75) which has a different tail shaft attachment method to the pinion than that of a Salisbury (early VK VH VC VB), as far as different tail shafts lengths & trans input splines from manual to auto I don't know, as I had a VN SS T5 front section & mated that to the rear section of the original VK (took it to a professional; shortened, new centre bearing, upgraded uni's & balanced $500 from memory).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I swapped from a borgy 5 speed, to an aussie 4 speed, back to a Toyota Supra 5 speed, with my 6 cyl VC...

Tailshaft lengths were the same.

Used the same manual flywheel with them all

Toyota gearbox had a different input spline, on the tailshaft.

You have to get the plate for a manual, where it goes through the floor pan, if converting from an auto.

The black motor bellhousings have a round hole up the top, for some part (unsure of name), which controls the spark. Easy way round that is convert to a blue motor electronic dizzy.

Lacksballs has the rest covered pretty well...