Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 VN AERO REBUILD (304 stroked to 350ci flat top pistons std 4" bore)

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
Hmmm, maybe measure it.
I've got spare EFI hose which I know I have used some of on my car, and it measured 8mm ID. So my VR 304 definitely is.
yes the hose is 5/16" ID which needs to fit over the steel fuel which needs to be 5/16" OD, putting the steel pipe at 1/4" as i understand it

juts measured outer diameter pipe and its 8mm so ID is smaller

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Thought it was 8mm efi hose...never really checked 100% but think that's what I've been using.

Couldn't find something quieter than 044 or quickest thing to find that fits early external setup? Or does it have internal f/pump?

(some of early vn's had external pump like vl & vk efi 6cyl)

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
the VN V8 setup I have here there are 2 pumps, low pressure lift pump in tank and external pump for which I was going to run bosch 044 pump
The internal pump is VDO

Contents1 x pump, 1 x strainer, 1 x fitting kit
Pump diameter37 mm diameter
Pump length60 mm body, 112 mm overall
Goss equivilant
Matching plug/Electrical connectionOE style screw on
Current draw2 Amp free flow, 3.5 Amp at 4 PSI
Voltage12 Volt
Flow rate at 0,25 Bar (4 PSI)110 LPH
Flow rate at free flow230 LPH

Fachoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
calais 2
achoo
I have already recond the 80 litre fuel tank that was one on first things I done
VN V8 fuel tank rebuild | Just Commodores

have new lift pump, sender, and 044 fuel pump
need to replace the hoses inside tank, and the fill hose
The fuel line if I not mistaken is 1/4" ID so thinking of going to 5/16" ID

when you replace the fuel line are most upgrading to aluminium tubing and bend yourself as opposed to the original steel tube?

Managed to take out the fuel, and brake lines running the length of car tonight, so could tidy up the last of the old water proofing on drivers rear wheel well
wow you done tank 1 year ago, funny how time flies like a turtle.
I see your using 2 small/large pumps and VP sender unit.

Good luck replacing the 5/16 submersible inside VN tank return line, very lonnnnnnng nose pliers work and/or strong long bent wire to pop out plastic venturi fitting of the plastic potty tank, then you have to try and unbolt/bolt clamp to inside return tank pipe outlet.

Thats why the 2 pipe VR/VS sender unit is much much easier to change that submersible hose to plastic potty.

Fuel lines 3/8 and 5/16 both dash 6,,, you could upgrade to 1/2”dash 8 but really overkill/waste of money for your kw. Your money, your choice of aluminium tubing or braided lines, both expensive especially fittings or just leave/refresh the adequate stock lines and spend/add a good quality filter/s and new aftermarket fuel regulator in bay.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
achoo
yes will need to upgrade the fuel regulator at engine to work with higher pressure bosch pump so can get the regulator down to factory 43.5psi +/- settings
I have few larger aftermarket fuel filteres here which are set up with -10, so not sure whether they will fit in
i managed to get a nice VN/VP tank pickup as mine was rusted out, however when I compared against my originally pickup it was shorter, so had to lengthen the pickup so all good now

The plan was to clean up the bottom of the car, water blast, Feronite (rust convertor), although there is not heavy rust, but thought I would go through and paint the the underside to seal steel work, and the paint with high solids chassis paint

After doing this will throw the fuel tank and fuel and brake lines back in, then rear end moving forward

Then body sand and paint to finish

Attachments

• 6 feronite-KBS chassis paint.jpg
    6 feronite-KBS chassis paint.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
last night under car taking body sealer off, before calling it a night used KBS Aqua- Kleen and sprayed under the body to rear seats floor boards, RH rear inner guard, found this product to be good industrial degreaser and used this on fuel tank
Under the car before work this morning, using the Feronite metal primer, you can see after approx. 30min colour changing from milky cream to greenish colour, and then another 60min after that goes to a clear hard glossy clear
tomorrow hit it with KBS chassis black

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 99
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 89
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 94

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
under car in weekend continue the quest forward to touch up the belly
one could say we are approx 50% of the way once the coat of paint goes on tomorrow morning before work

Had a look at fuel lines, they are deffinatley smaller than 1/4"
stripped off hoses and measure them @ 5.57mm (< 0.220")

according to summit website need to go to 3/8" pipe, however need to check whether this is for carb or efi

Recommended Fuel Line Size (from the tank to the pump)
Engine OutputSize (inches)Size (AN)
350 hp or less5/16 in.-5
350-450 hp3/8 in.-6
450-650 hp1/2 in.-8
650-1,000 hp5/8 in.-10

The fuel lines will clean up, not sure if If i can get away with OEM fuel line of not
will have to pull the pump out and see what fittings came with it as don't recall

Attachments

• 17 fuel line #8.jpg
    17 fuel line #8.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 70
  • 14 fuel line #5.jpg
    14 fuel line #5.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 15 fuel line #6.jpg
    15 fuel line #6.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 72

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Sounds about right for n/a carb cars.

Efi more about injectors & fuel pump...not many need to change fuel lines untill power gets into crazy range.