Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Executive horn wiring

renaud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
This is complicated:
1. My VR Executive does not have air bags.
2. I had horn problems and removed the horn button.
3. Two wires from the rear of the horn button disappaered into the steering column.
4. One of the wires became detached at a plug/socket connector and the wire disappeared down the column, I could not retrieve it.
5. I discovered that the wire which had dissappeared was an earth connection so I took the socket connector on the end of the wire from the horn button, spread it and pushed it into a hole in the steering wheel hub. The horn worked.
6. Eventually, having a few other minor problems, I took the car to an auto-electrician who I had confidence in (after only one other encounter - a silly thing?)
7. The auto electrician would not listen to my story, his attitude telling me that he thought me a fool.
8. He rewired the earth wire to a lug which he placed under the steering wheel hub nut.

My questions:
a) What is the correct connection of the earth wire from the horn button?
b) If the connection I discovered was a modification, will the floating earth wire in the steering column cause problems.

Thanking you in advance.
John

Ice101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Clubsport
Hi I'm not sure if your question has been answered in private. I don't know the specifics of the horn wiring on your car but in general electrical terms:

a) Your auto electrician probably done you a favour by fitting a more reliable earthing fixture than just doing the "hole" thing that you mentioned in your post. Being an earth wire it doesn't matter where the connection is made just as long as it is earthed to your car somewhere ie anywhere on the chassis.

b) The only way that your loose earth wire is going to cause you problems is if it comes into contact with any other live circuits or wires. Realistically as long as there haven't been any dodgy wiring jobs done in that area that have left exposed live wires you should be safe.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
From memory the VR horns earth wire is designed to be connected to a hole in the steering wheel plastic which exposes metal. Well, that's how the standard VR executives ive worked on have all been!

But if it's been re-wired by an auto electronican that one should be fine, it's just not standard :p

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
An earth is an earth, zero potential, so as long as it stays away from a positive wire all is cool.

renaud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Thanks

Thank you for the replies, I have seen a number of posts in here speaking of the unreliability of Comodore horn earthing but this seems OK.
My chief beef is with the auto electrician (Mid Mountains Auto Electrical, in Lawson) who would not listen as I tried to tell him how it had been wired, he treated me like an idiot and ended by saying "just give me my money and never bring your car back". I think I will obey him, there are other auto electricians here.

renaud

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
My concern was with physical matters, a loose wire in an area where there are moving parts. I am a trained technician (not auto electric but electricity is electricity!).