Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Fuel and Ignition Problems

VNCommyBeast

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS VN, VR Berlina
yea give it a try and see if it starts, i'd say you'll be blowing fuses still though. is it possible one of the wires to the fuel pump disconnected and is floating around in the petrol? i'm sure that'd blow a fuse. (if you can't find it grounding on the metal somewhere) not nice getting in there.

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
yea give it a try and see if it starts, i'd say you'll be blowing fuses still though. is it possible one of the wires to the fuel pump disconnected and is floating around in the petrol? i'm sure that'd blow a fuse. (if you can't find it grounding on the metal somewhere) not nice getting in there.

Nah, not the fuel pump wires - we replaced the new pump with an older (VP) one - and the wires were on there quite firmly. The pump works - I know, I FLATTENED my 600A JumpStart battery pack using it as a power supply for it (fused at 15A of course).

We figured it wasn't the alternator as well, as the car ran both with & without it 'hooked up' (though it was only run momentarily without any of the wires, and without the fan-belt). The alternator is a bit weak (at 13.55v), so I think I'll go back to my original VR alternator (which I might add, looks BETTER! lol).

The car did crank, and did eventually fire up - though one of the first things was to disconnect the oil pressure switch (suspected offender - and a $22 replacement is on hand, with the car at an auto-'sparky' - a friend of my father's).

I'll be glad to go back to driving the beast!!! =) I've had enough of driving my old little MH (Barina)... (don't ask... please! lol). It's great to be able to have to be careful all the time again, for fear of shreading the tires... lol hahaha!

So guys, a BIG thankyou to those who have contributed - regardless of whether it has been 'fruitful' or not... I can't say 'helpful', as everyone has said about something to look for/at, that I would not have thought to've done. =) A special thanks to Markovr for the specific parts of the wiring schematics for it. It has helped alot (even with my limited understanding of those particular schematic drawing methods used by Holden?).

Ghosty85

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR S2 Acclaim
Just to give the thumbs up (AGAIN) here - I had a VT/VX (V8) behind me on the way home from town. All he could do to 100km/h was keep up - he certainly wasn't catching up!!! LOL