Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

execV11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR executive S2
hey guys,

having some probs with my radiator???
i checked it the other day and it was empty so i filled it up with fluid.... 2 days later it was empty....
i then pressure tested it and there was no leeks i bought a new radiator cap cause the old 1 wasent holding the pressure..flushed the system and then blead the system and thought i was set but a few days later my radiator was empty again.. i cant find a leak??

if anyone has any ideas it would help cant afford the labour ATM????

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
When you say the radiator was empty do you mean the overflow tank or the radiator itself?

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
my falcon is the same, i top up the water like every week, maybe our cars are jsut thirsty :p....or not... possibly check the corners and the bottom of the radiator, they tend to rust if water is used over a period of time making cracks and allow water to leak.

EDIT: also check all ur radiator hoses, sometimes u can get a small split and water will leak out of it, only once u put it thru its paces will u really know if a hose is split cos itl split more and wash ur engine bay lol

execV11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR executive S2
yeh that was gonna be my next step testing the hoses see how i go!

cheers

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
but you have tested your whole cooling system bye pressure testing it!!!

sounds like your inlet manifold gaskets have gorn. split blown what ever you want to call it there letting the water in to the cylenders. this is why you can not see the leak on the ground etc, these are getting more and more common in the hotter temps when the motors are getting realy hot. im suspecting mine have gorn also.

also im hoping you have blead the system correctly as air pockets can work there way through and seem like there is no coolent in the system

execV11

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR executive S2
the radiator itself was empty......
i dont think i pressure tested the whole cooling system just the radiator.........
how do i tell if the inlet manifolds gaskets have gone????
and i hope your wrong for my sake cause im guessing to replace the gaskets will cost big $$$$$$

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
you need to pump the radator with air, any radator place can do this for you and should charge you much, this will test the whole system. also another spot to leak is the heater tap they get old and brittle and can brake.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
the radiator itself was empty......
i dont think i pressure tested the whole cooling system just the radiator.........
how do i tell if the inlet manifolds gaskets have gone????
and i hope your wrong for my sake cause im guessing to replace the gaskets will cost big $$$$$$

to replace the inlet gaskets would cost around 100 bucks (give or take...also depends where you go) doing it yourself...this includes: Oil, coolent and teh gaskets. Cost me just under 100 when i did mine and neither no mine wasnt very stuffed it mad heaps of difference changing it

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If cash is short add a can of 'stop leak' to the cooling system....it shouldn't do any harm and can give you some breathing space till funds are better.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
also go out and heck the tightness of the inlet manifold bolts...they should be around 12 NM.