Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Dear Diary,

Why do 20 mins jobs turn into all afternoon jobs? LOL

One of the annoying things about my ute, it bottoms out really easy over bumps in the road. I looked underneath, nothing out of the ordinary, it's not that low etc.

I assumed when they lowered it, they didn't put lowered/shorter shocks in it.

So new ones arrived the other day..

Too easy, jack up the car, put it on stands, hold the diff with the jack, replace the springs, get my daughter involved, teach her some basic mechanical skills etc. Too easy.

So at the same time, I can drop the springs out and get the lower control arm at a better angle by cutting just "1" coil off the bottom.

Even after I cut the bottom coil off it, it's still 2 inches taller than those that came out of the tassie ute..

Sweet.. didn't take long.

This is the photo I took before we started.
So I can compared it afterwards, I couldn't find my tape measure.

1630236883973.png

So fitted the new shocks, cut a coil off each spring, it's still sitting a bit high, lets take it for a drive and measure it when we come back after it's settled.

Oh year measured the new shocks against the ones I took out, exactly the same height dammit. Though the new ones are gas filled, the ones that came out aren't.

My driveway is steepish and on an angle to the road.

go over that, "griiiiiiiind" (*** what's that.. sure enough the passenger spring popped out, I musn't of put it in the right spot.

drive it back to the garage, jack it up, put it back in.. take it for a drive.. same thing..

Go look at the Tassie ute to compare.. that has had the bump stops completely removed.

Bring it back pull it all apart take wheels off have a good look..

I noticed on mine, these rubber bump stops have two sections , one of them only had one, so I removed the one with two, cut it off, to match the other one. Most likely that double one was what was causing it to bottom out so easy.

Put it all back together, put some wire through the bottom coil to the lower control arm. It's too late, will test it later.

next day..

2.20 min drive to Nambour to pick up the second hand L67, that's a runner, no noise and no smoke, that's all I know about it.

put all the gear in my daughters ute and off I go.
Takes exactly 2 hours 15 mins to get there.

The engine was on the crane already, 5 mins to load it up, and off I go back to the goldie..
on the way up the traffic heading south was looking ugly.

1630237282125.png

1630237362899.png

I left there around 2pm.. immediately hit traffic.. got out of traffic around brisbane LOL

got home 6:30 pm.

So the plan is this.

Take the ute to our local mechanic who's excellent and doesn't charge eff all.. compared to all the others I've been to over the years.

To get him to diagnose the ticking in my thing.

I'll take it there hoping the springs don't pop out. if they do I'll bring it back and buy some sssl's or something.

Then wait to hear what he's got to say.. and take it from there, if it's really bad.. I'll get him to swap in this L67 to keep me going till I decide what to do with the one in there now.

Already missed Saturday nights roll racing.. Spewing...

So that's where we are up to..

any ideas on the springs? I should of taken a photo of them before and after the coil cut etc.

I thought It would be ok with just taking one off etc.

oh yeah

this is how it came back after the 2nd try.

1630238328558.png

just went and took a photo of the existing height.

Before After.
1630236883973.png
1630238468968.png

So it looks like it's dropped about 1 inch

And the lower control arm is now very close to horizontal.. raising the front should get it very close.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Can't have stock length shocks or springs can fall out...needs shorter length items....std ute shocks are shorter length for sedans they just add collar in lower bush.

Think suzukisuper still do cheapie sets...also cut bumpstops for now but do need to buy shorter superpro versions or shortest whatever brand can find 'cos if hit bumpstops it will unsettle rear of car making it unpredictable particular if spinning or sideways.

Then after that adjustable top control arms to set pinion angle like whiteline or whatever then either thickest blade adjustable rear sway bar or tuff mounts rear sway bar...after all that will basicaly come down to grip of tyres & fine tuning.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Can't have stock length shocks or springs can fall out...needs shorter length items....std ute shocks are shorter length for sedans they just add collar in lower bush.

Think suzukisuper still do cheapie sets...also cut bumpstops for now but do need to buy shorter superpro versions or shortest whatever brand can find 'cos if hit bumpstops it will unsettle rear of car making it unpredictable particular if spinning or sideways.

Then after that adjustable top control arms to set pinion angle like whiteline or whatever then either thickest blade adjustable rear sway bar or tuff mounts rear sway bar...after all that will basicaly come down to grip of tyres & fine tuning.

the new shocks I bought were lowered shocks, maybe not low enough..

looking at all the WhiteLine products.. lots of them there, never heard of them before..

Last edited:

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
come to think of it, too keep me going, the tassie ute must have the shorter shocks in it, so I can swap them out for now, till I get the whiteline shocks.. I've contacted them to see which they recommend etc.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Oh yeah, put the Donor VS Ute up for sale on marketplace.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Oh yeah, put the Donor VS Ute up for sale on marketplace.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4236145206475722/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:55bbbe13-4820-48dd-8e1a-81f4b464daf3

View attachment 226105

If anyone interested, pm me here not on FB. I'll do a great deal for any forum member etc.
Before anyone says Losh might be interested...... No I'm not, I've moved on from VR-VS...... :p:p:p:p

Heads up, you will probably get told that FS posts need to go in FS sub forum.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Indeed. IF you wish to advertise on the forum please keep it to the trade section.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
so I just bought some super low shocks

1630294372231.png

hopefully they'll stop the springs dropping out LOL

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Indeed. IF you wish to advertise on the forum please keep it to the trade section.

Yeah sorry about that,

I just deleted the post..

(I deleted the contents of the post, I couldn't figure out how to delete the entire post)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No problem. We have had issues with some people abusing the forum and ripping of other members so we police the for sale stuff. It seems some people only join to try and sell **** which is not what the forum is primarily for, rather an add on for regular members to use.