Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

H

harrop.senator

To weld alloy you need an AC/DC tig unit and ideally one with a foot pedal control.

Out of curiosity does my machine do that? LOL I want to learn to Tig.

I've only mig welded aluminium and with a euro handle not a spool gun.

All I remember being different is 100% argon and it's easier to push not pull. Don't shape the pool as much as just straight push.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't think those machines listed above are AC/DC tig. They are also only touch off tig and I don't think you'd want to do that with alloy and a clean tip is critical. I'm really no expert. I played with tig many moons ago but never enough to get good at it. Decent with Arc and ok with Mig but that is about it. Tig is next on my list as there are things I want to do with alloy that I can't do with AN fittings.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
I personally run this

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/unimig-pk11019-viper-inverter-185-migsticktig-welder-kit

these are just as good but I had a great deal on the viper at the time.

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/...5-migtigmma-single-phase-inverter-welder-pack

I've heard these aren't quite as sensitive to adjustment as the other two even though seems it would.

But that price right now be hard to beat for a learner machine

https://www.totaltools.com.au/12325...ig-welder-with-ag-reg-arc-torch-accs-multi180

Screenshot_20210915-142240_Chrome.jpg

That looks awesome.

Thanks mate, I take it, that's the one you are referring to.

Like the idea of it not being to sensitive, considering I'm just learning etc

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Pretty cheap Pete, better off with a known brand IMO. I have had one or two Michagin tools and they were cheap for a reason. May have improved now but I think any welder under $1k will be pretty average. I see my mates and family that have MIG welders and none were under $1000. I think CIG will be a better unit.

H

harrop.senator

I've used the Michigan personally for mig and I didn't have any issues with it don't know what the Tig and arc is like on it.

It just took me a little longer then usual to dial it in I found.

I have the viper 185 , mate also runs it for his mild steel work in his fab shop. (Roll cages and exhausts when people are cheap like myself) is definitely an industrial competent machine.

He runs the same brand for his two tigs one ally, one stainless. He finds when people want stainless or ally they want it pretty so he keeps both with the correct gases attached and just wheels the unit over pending what he's welding.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
@harrop.senator

ok it's getting confusing now LOL

I'm so out of the loop.. so need one gas for allow and another for steel or stainless?

btw. I'm not looking to make it pretty,, alloy can polish up pretty good. or if really ugly (though functional welding) can be painted over in black :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes. Mig and Tig use shielding gasses to keep air away from the weld pool. Arc uses the slag to protect the weld pool. Gassless mig run the stuff in the centre of the wire to achieve a similar effect. Different welding types used different gasses and even different steel types work better with various gas mixes. It's a real science when you get into it. Next we should talk about back purging when welding certain materials .