Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
That's why i went the Monaro Bonnet, apart from look it adds a few inches more room but fliberglass bonnets are a no no in Qld.
As said above in Qld you can cut a hole in the skin as long as it is covered by a scoop.
How high can the scoop be in the next question.

Or..... put the Rego in a family name just over the border lol.

There was a guy at Beaudesert that used to make them (2" reverse) and sell on Facebook but i can't find his ad anymore, they were about $160 - 180 pickup.
I would prob go to a boat builder/fiberglassing business to get it done.

Also keep an eye on guntree n facebook as i have seen a few bonnets with scoops pop up from time to time.

My mum lives over the border :)

but then I'd need a roadworthy every year.

I see them pop up on FB and ebay every once in a while.. bloody expensive though, but I'll have to grab one eventually.

I'm picking it up from the Auto place today, it's ready, have to get it home without blowing too much smoke LOL

Then I'll get the battery moved..

Then I have to figure out who can do this work , most of it is bolt in/on swap , only fab work is the rear housing of the M90 to the other side for the IC plumbing etc.

I'm going to make a document about what the project requires and take it from there.

H

harrop.senator

If like the vk one get the vk one lol. Doesn't "need to suit" a particular model .

The bulge ones are easiest they're usually flimsy af screw and glue them and they'll take the gaps up themselves and you're blending them anyway.

With the scoops if not flush mounting it to blend just run a 10mm or sock rubber seal under it to close the gap on to.

I've done a9x on to KE70 , ba bulge to vx, fg-x to vz and vn group a on a vy. I've either been bogus lucky or its not that hard.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
I'll probly get something like this, since they are available.

1633658743601.png

H

harrop.senator

Ba isn't bad Im in love with the fg-x about to order one for the vs ute. I just froth everytime the cover comes.off the vz.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If like the vk one get the vk one lol. Doesn't "need to suit" a particular model .

The bulge ones are easiest they're usually flimsy af screw and glue them and they'll take the gaps up themselves and you're blending them anyway.

With the scoops if not flush mounting it to blend just run a 10mm or sock rubber seal under it to close the gap on to.

I've done a9x on to KE70 , ba bulge to vx, fg-x to vz and vn group a on a vy. I've either been bogus lucky or its not that hard.

I've put a XB GS bonnet into a TF Cortina, VH Valiant and VC Commodore...The VC Commodore also had the L88 Corvette bonnet scoop, so I had to split the Falcon bonnet to accomodate it....

Of course this wasn't everyones cup of tea, but I used to say to the knockers, I'd like to see you do some panel modifying, so I can give you crap about it

Reactions: Lex
H

harrop.senator

I've put a XB GS bonnet into a TF Cortina, VH Valiant and VC Commodore...The VC Commodore also had the L88 Corvette bonnet scoop, so I had to split the Falcon bonnet to accomodate it....

Of course this wasn't everyones cup of tea, but I used to say to the knockers, I'd like to see you do some panel modifying, so I can give you crap about it

Exactly brother it's all about having a go. Find a solution rather than sooking about the problem.

Fyi please don't think I'm saying your sooking Pete you're having a red hot go at this car .

Have a crack mate find one you like , if you hit any road blocks between us members we'll be able to sort it. You know and we know you're not afraid of getting your hands dirty.

If you do it yourself it'll take longer but you'll probably be fussier than 90% of shops. It'll be right by the time your done.

Pick something you want and don't worry about everyone else.

Even some relief cut angle in a 1.5-2 ?? And slightly shaped and panel bonded around the cut would suffice for most inspectors. And the turbo/blower will be a bigger issue then the bonnet dude.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
So good news and bad news LOL

Picked the car up after getting the manual valve body and shift kit installed..

I told the guy the engine was on the way out when I dropped it off.

Turns out the install was done and it's great.

On the way home, was testing what it's like driving a fully manual auto for the first time.

It's pretty cool (will get old fast I think)

Then gave it a tiny pull to see what the change is like and slight load etc.

Then this happened. hahah..

I had my phone in the phone holder and just pressed record, nothing to see, but a ton to hear

So now onto the good news.

When I picked it up, I spoke to a different guy. I asked if they do general mechanical etc.. long story short they do.

I told him what I want to do on this thing.

He goes, you need to speak to my mate who does this type of work for me and has done for 10 years..

Turns out this guy is literally 2 streets from my place.. Does a ton of custom work and has a massive workshop.

So going to talk to him today and see what we can come up with.. Since he's so close, going to try to get him to come and see the two utes. the spare engine I have and see what we can come up with.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Time to park it and start pulling **** out unless you want to see if it will grenade itself.

I'm surprised YT are still selling the Tower of Terror cooler as it never really fit well with bonnet clearance it kinda lost it's appeal with the majority who wanted a bolt on type deal without wanting to cut **** up.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Time to park it and start pulling **** out unless you want to see if it will grenade itself.

I'm surprised YT are still selling the Tower of Terror cooler as it never really fit well with bonnet clearance it kinda lost it's appeal with the majority who wanted a bolt on type deal without wanting to cut **** up.

it's just about got enough life left in it to drive it to the guys place who'll hopefully do the build on it.

I like the TT because it's so high, plus I want the air coming out of the m90 as cool as possible, the turbo has it's own front mount IC.. plus the TT one, should be enough, especially with E85.

Plan is to tune it, see how much power it puts out and then wind down the boost some to get some reliability back into it.