Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS LS Swap Build

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
cheers gtrboyy,
The pacemakers in a package deal are an attractive prospect.
CRS Kit $1,995 versus Tuff kit $2,245
CRS kit is probably fine but as you said their has been some clearance concerns getting around.
Tuff kit has tuff mounts and pacemakers which are both preferable. That and the V6 had pacemakers so why not keep it going.

Even if I went hard into the install, I'm still limited by the turn around on the ECU and loom (2 weeks). I'm probably going to have the time to stuff around with fab work. Its $920ish minus flanges ($100), gaskets ($25), 1.6mm mild steel pipe from work (cheap as).
That's $800 I could throw at fresh coilovers or better power steering or skid tyres or towards diff mods...
DIY headers I make are not going to be as great as pacemakers strait up, no delusions here.

Stuff it, this forum is helping. I'm ordering the kit without headers. My work has a hydraulic pipe bender and a guy that comes in to do mandrels.
I'm forcing myself to make them because I have everything I need and if I dont that's $800 I'm paying for lazyness.
Trans cross member, fair enough, I could screw the geometry and cause issues, rubbish heads are meh.. they'll get the job done regardless, anyone see that episode of Engine Masters where Frieburger bashes the hell out of a set of headers on the engine dyno and it makes no difference?

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
The V6 is ready to come out. Should have the LS1 at dads within a week or so. Just juggling time, work / life things. Can't wait to get started!

Attachments

• 20200502_120334.jpg
    20200502_120334.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 188

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The V6 is ready to come out. Should have the LS1 at dads within a week or so. Just juggling time, work / life things. Can't wait to get started!

Hoist & crane.....alright form some !

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
#humblerag setup haha

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Ahh whats a humblerag?

Really tempted to twin turbo...

Any advice on what to look for before the engine goes in?
This will be my first LS1 so im generally unfamiliar. I know I want one of those modded melling oil pumps. I think it's high volume I'm after, not high pressure. (Oil cooler, maybe turbos)
Ill find a new waterpump and gasket set.
190,000kms timing chain due?
Making my own gate style sump baffles.
Could always pull a bearing cap or two for a look?

Any advice on oiling optimisation?
Id rather not shim the oil relief like youtube says... unless it's set too low from factory?

Not doing cam or rebuild at this stage, just worried about getting it well sorted, running and mod plated.

I do really want a Haltech and I'm doing some serious budget reshuffling and extra saving so I can afford it. $3k Haltec vs $1k overhaul on factory loom and ECU. If i do it now at least Im not wasting $1k on the factory stuff just to replace it and It gives it more room to grow.

Haha I was on budget at $8k to $10k but I keep finding more stuff I want.

I thought I had a muffler... I could have sworn I had one... turns out ive been running a one piece from the headers with only a resonator and hi flow cat for about 2 years now. No wonder I was in love with that V6...
20200410_113909.jpg

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Im being told to avoid tuff / unbreakable mounts as theyre too harsh for a streeter.
How bad are they?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'd strongly recommend high pressure not high volume. You dont want to run the sump dry hammering her. LS's dont need volume they need pressure.

Im being told to avoid tuff / unbreakable mounts as theyre too harsh for a streeter.
How bad are they?

You will know you have them thats for sure, these are not for everyone. Some mates have gone one tuff mount one standard with good results but NVH over stock is 150%

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Engine and box arived 11.5.20
Everything looks good except a snapped dip stick. Got a free hydraulic clutch set plus the VX engine and T56 mounts thrown in. Got ECU and wiring harness.
Packaging was good too.
Also got a throttle control computer/ modual? But its got a cable throttle body.

Plan is to get the LS in the VS this weekend and start mocking up diy mounts.

Waiting on parts to arrive... and being indecisive about what to do to the engine before it goes in for good.

My tuner recommends to stick with the melling 295 oil pump. I had lost sleep over which one to get and thought stuff it, just go with what he said. He'll do the security unlock soon and a dyno tune later when its on the road.

Its staying NA because qld transport will do disgusting things to my bank account and my car if they catch me with twins on the street. If they catch me...

Anyway. Going to 4.11 gears with a torqueworm lsd on the recommendation that ill never use 6th if I dont and itll work well for skids. Diff guys also said the 28 spline and factory drive line should stand up to less than 500hp.

Im keen on the VCM480 cam. Sounds nice on youtube. I like it because its the mildest lumpy Ive come accross.
Can the engine pass emissions with that cam I wonder?

Still need to order fuel and brake parts too.

As always, thoughts, recommendations and opinions welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200512-165026.png
    Screenshot_20200512-165026.png
    285.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20200511_201724_070.jpg
    IMG_20200511_201724_070.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 182

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
20200519_195901.jpg
20200514_161619.jpg
20200509_163516.jpg

Well... at least its going to make for one hell of a before and after pic.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
My wishlist if did one of these...

ve waterpump/alternator bracket & water pump (tucks everything closer to block)
astra electric p/steer pump under guard or manual rack conversion
vs series 3 radiator + vs v6 thermofan
vcm vt-z otr (new brackets for radiator to fit)
vs hydraulic pedal box
factory returnless fuel system works fine for n/a
killaboost catchcan/water reservoir looks wicked

moving p/steer rack over so starter clears although been told smaller aftermarket starters are available
^^ avoids cost of starter conversion kit & if making own extractors may as well look into it

*Knowing myself would be pacies/tuff mounts/starter conversion 'cos can't weld or paint to save my life haha