Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS v6 owners check this out

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
A FRIEND PULLS INTO HOME,WENT INTO EAT, SMELT SMOKE,WENT OUT TO THE FIRE BALL CALLED (HIS CAR) THE WIRE HAS STARTED A SMALL FIRE IN THE THE ENG BAY(when he hopped out he didnt smell the small fire)only to return to a big fire)THE FIRE BRIGADE TOOK THE CAR FOR FOR INSPECTION AND THAT RED WIRE WAS FOUND TO BE AT FAULT

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
ok it hasn't happen'd to mine yet but i wan't to rewire it all what would be the best wire to use (0 gauge)? and were can i get a roll of it for cheap?

justy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Executive
Hi, bought my vs II executive in desperation about a month and a bit ago, happy to find this forum/threads. Have checked my red wire connection and its all good from what I can see/feel.
The fixit list is growing, guess thats what I get for buying the unknown in the pouring rain hey :) The suspension guys are telling me a $1000 story, the odometer is dead so after 196k's who knows lol! Ive named it turtle.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
when all the probs are fixed she willl run like a dream,fix list realy never end lol,,,,name it lion not turtle lol
Hi, bought my vs II executive in desperation about a month and a bit ago, happy to find this forum/threads. Have checked my red wire connection and its all good from what I can see/feel.
The fixit list is growing, guess thats what I get for buying the unknown in the pouring rain hey :) The suspension guys are telling me a $1000 story, the odometer is dead so after 196k's who knows lol! Ive named it turtle.

fireballv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 1 Berlina wagon
I've checked this on my Vs s2, it looks to have been repaired already, thanks for the tip....

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
thats good at least your will be ok for years to come....cheeeeers
I've checked this on my Vs s2, it looks to have been repaired already, thanks for the tip....

robol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore sedan
ok i've read this thread a thousand times but there are conflicting answers

my alternator cable is burnt near the terminal (it broke when i touched it)

i need a solution that will last me 4000ks until i can fix the problem permanently

advice in the thread is 2 answers;

1. cutback the wire to a point it's good and redo the connection

some posts say that shortening the wire will increase resistance and i can expect even more heat on the wire, but will it last me 4000ks?

also, i'm worried about electrical safety, when the broken cable touched the body of the alternator it sparked. do i have to disconnect the battery before working with this cable? don't want to have large amps running through my body when trying to cut and reconnect this damn cable

disconnect battery is always neg first and then pos right?

2. run a thick cable direct to battery

i guess the earth cable that runs parallel with the main cable still works so i can just cut the main cable near the battery and run a separate main cable direct to the battery
but i also read that the main cable is forked to the circuit breakers?
do i need to run a separate cable to the breakers? and from where? the alt or the battery?
or can i just skip it as it only has to last 4000ks?

any thoughts much appreciated

Last edited:

hsv_manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Manta & VC Commodore
Thank You Thank You.....

I was struggling to find a solution to issue surrounding my old man's VS ute.. The cable was buggered I have repaired it and all seems to be well it was a fire in the making..