Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 UTE Fuel economy 20L/100km PLEASE HELP

altaaf

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute
from the logs you just sent me the left 02 sensor (passenger side) is dead, sit's on 800mv (Rich) and doesn't move, and in the other log your Radiator fan is coming on and off and the coolant sensor was only reading 40 deg C, either there's a loose connection to it or it's faulty and needs replacing.

i had a dead left 02 dead sensor that i have replaced and i had the aircon on this morning i will send u a log which i got this afternoon but i had the aircon again i also have a 81 degree thermostat ....
its on its way now

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
all looks fine in that new log, good cross counts on the o2 sensors, coolant temp sensor working, fueling is spot on LTFC, i would recommend getting the memcal tune updated for 81 Deg Thermostat. Either way your fuel econ should get better now with those fixed up.

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
all looks fine in that new log, good cross counts on the o2 sensors, coolant temp sensor working, fueling is spot on LTFC, i would recommend getting the memcal tune updated for 81 Deg Thermostat. Either way your fuel econ should get better now with those fixed up.

How do you retune the memcal for the 81 deg thermstat ?

Krilnik

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2
Best economy I've achieved is 14.44 L/100K's. That's in city traffic morning and afternoon and a very light foot. I never let the revs get over 2000rpm.

I have cleaned the MAF and will be changing the fuel filter very soon.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
ive done quite a few retunes for thermostat, im sure the other guys, dr bob, delcowizzid, mace etc can do them to.

With a tune in my VS running 98ron i have been averaging 10L/100km 50:50 city/highway, not going granny on it either.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
The VS was not terribly economical, despite it be the first Commodore to be fitted with the "ecotec". 18-20L/100 around town is pretty average for them. 10-12 on the highway is what they get too. The biggest killer of town economy is an aftermarket larger exhaust system. Sure they sound OK, but they adversly affect the economy.

Without sounding cold, you will just have to live with it.

That cant be right... I get 9L/100 highway and 13-14L/100 in traffic from my lard-arse VS statesman with 10psi boost, diff gears and a heavy foot. Ive also owned a non-supercharged ecotec that was about 10% better on fuel than my l67. 20L/100 is definitely not normal

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
yeh if your constantly getting in the 20L/100 somethings wrong!!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Put the standard thermostat in, engines run at their best when they are hot. 90 - 100 deg is not too hot for engine coolant. If it was designed to run cooler, they would have the colder thermostat from factory. Only the super 6 benefits from the 81deg thermostat, not the N/A.

Being auto and having a 2 1/2" system will give you worse economy as well.

If you wanted to go through the time and effort, see if you can get a stock exhaust and test your economy after fitting that.

Maybe I should clarify, having a 2 1/2" system and getting crap economy is normal.

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
Put the standard thermostat in, engines run at their best when they are hot. 90 - 100 deg is not too hot for engine coolant. If it was designed to run cooler, they would have the colder thermostat from factory. Only the super 6 benefits from the 81deg thermostat, not the N/A.

Being auto and having a 2 1/2" system will give you worse economy as well.

If you wanted to go through the time and effort, see if you can get a stock exhaust and test your economy after fitting that.

Maybe I should clarify, having a 2 1/2" system and getting crap economy is normal.

They run like that for emissions nothing else, after a tune a N/A with 81deg thermo runs a more stable temperature and results in the same fuel economy if not better, i was a skeptic myself but have tested it on a few cars now, had people run both standard and 81deg with a pcm reset and tune inbetween and can't tell any difference in fuel consumption, seat of pants power etc etc, slightly cooler temps also has to be better in the long term for seals and gaskets as well.