Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AlwaysNeedHelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VT 304, Auto VT Olympic,
Hey guys I’m 17 and tearing down my 304 from my vt and wondering if anyone has used either of these cams I’m thinking going the 888271 for the rough idle but what would be easiest to tune on the factory ecu? I don’t really want to get a haltech mainly as I’m not looking for hp numbers more just a tough weekender, And what supporting mods would be recommended

Any help appreciated
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_1739.jpeg
    IMG_1739.jpeg
    109.4 KB · Views: 76

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Those cams are way to big for a stock motor, now throw in a set of new pistons, get the compression ratio up to a nice healthy 10.5:1, a decent intake manifold, some head porting for good measure and complementing valve train along with a good exhaust and then they'll work.

Sure it can be tuned on the factory PCM, just need to find a tuner that will work with the factory PCM's.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hey guys I’m 17 and tearing down my 304 from my vt and wondering if anyone has used either of these cams I’m thinking going the 888271 for the rough idle but what would be easiest to tune on the factory ecu? I don’t really want to get a haltech mainly as I’m not looking for hp numbers more just a tough weekender, And what supporting mods would be recommended

Any help appreciated
Cheers
They are both on a 110 lobe centre, so basically are you building it to 10-11.5 comp or 10.5-12 comp. That will answer your question.

My 2c, build 11:1 comp, go that first cam, and see if they can regrind narrower (108°)

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Might be easier in Vic, but finding a tuner that will still tune the factory delco is hard over this way. So Haltech is gaining more customers even with minor mods just so a tuner can be found easier.

AlwaysNeedHelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VT 304, Auto VT Olympic,
Those cams are way to big for a stock motor, now throw in a set of new pistons, get the compression ratio up to a nice healthy 10.5:1, a decent intake manifold, some head porting for good measure and complementing valve train along with a good exhaust and then they'll work.

Sure it can be tuned on the factory PCM, just need to find a tuner that will work with the factory PCM's.
Yeah well she is currently running flat tops with standard bottom end, has yella terra shaft mount roller rockers, bigger springs, ported heads, the starr 100mm banana manifold and a few other things that I can’t remember off the top of my head

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well it sounds like you are part way there but you'll need to check the valve springs are suitable for the cam but that intake isn't really ideal for high revs.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Well it sounds like you are part way there but you'll need to check the valve springs are suitable for the cam but that intake isn't really ideal for high revs.
No, but with a stock bottom end, how high would you go on a 3.02 stroke crank.
I went 6200+ with 70mm t/b on banana Mani, 3.48 stroke.

I reckon he'll get the odd run to 7k

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Yeah well she is currently running flat tops with standard bottom end, has yella terra shaft mount roller rockers, bigger springs, ported heads, the starr 100mm banana manifold and a few other things that I can’t remember off the top of my head
Do you actually know what your compression ratio is? even with the flat top pistons if the block hasn’t been decked to get the pistons level at top dead centre (0 deck height) then the compression ratio will still be relatively low, heads may have been decked when the port work was done?
those cams are on the large side and won’t be very street friendly you’d really be better off going for something smaller

Last edited:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
No, but with a stock bottom end, how high would you go on a 3.02 stroke crank.
I went 6200+ with 70mm t/b on banana Mani, 3.48 stroke.

I reckon he'll get the odd run to 7k

I'd do the rod bolts if it was going to live at the high rpm that cam will like.