Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
No, suggesting they were shallow was in no way inferring there would be VTP clearance issues.
They are shallow, as historically, even with Chevrolet heads, which used 18° instead of Holden's 12° giving them a deeper 'pocket'.
In my application, I am using a positive deck height of +0.005" and flat top pistons. No clearance issues.
If that head has had a valve job, the volume will be more. A different spark plug will affect the volume. The layer of vaseline will affect the outcome. Mine measured 58cc. I repeated the test many times over.
My test was a set of untouched heads, and a stock AC Delco plug

AlwaysNeedHelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VT 304, Auto VT Olympic,
As a 'tough weekender' I doubt it will see 7 too often, but yes, great idea.
Yeah I’m not looking for hp numbers, just pure lump n noise, something to get me motion sick at the traffic lights haha

AlwaysNeedHelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Might be easier in Vic, but finding a tuner that will still tune the factory delco is hard over this way. So Haltech is gaining more customers even with minor mods just so a tuner can be found easier.
I am located in vic is there anyone u would Recommend to go see?

brett10

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commo
If your using the factory bunch of bananas manifold unfortunately your cam profile can't be too aggressive. The factory manifolds with their 16" long runners don't flow enough air. Years ago Larry Perkins tried to get the most power out of these motors with the stock manifold. At the rear wheels he got 206KW. Ian Tate in melbourne did a motor for my VS ute with an auto. Using a Wade 325C cam (same as a Crane 286), and 110 lobe separation. At the time , 1997 , these were the biggest hydraulic cam for the 304. With the auto and a 2500 stall my ute made 201KW@wheels. He said any bigger cam it will just fuel up and bog down. I had 9..7:1 comp. with the VS heads, 80% of the porting is around the exhaust valves. If you want to go a bigger cam you need to go to a different manifold with more airflow. Putting a bigger throttle body on the banana manifold doesn't change much.

AlwaysNeedHelp

Reaction score
Members Ride
If your using the factory bunch of bananas manifold unfortunately your cam profile can't be too aggressive. The factory manifolds with their 16" long runners don't flow enough air. Years ago Larry Perkins tried to get the most power out of these motors with the stock manifold. At the rear wheels he got 206KW. Ian Tate in melbourne did a motor for my VS ute with an auto. Using a Wade 325C cam (same as a Crane 286), and 110 lobe separation. At the time , 1997 , these were the biggest hydraulic cam for the 304. With the auto and a 2500 stall my ute made 201KW@wheels. He said any bigger cam it will just fuel up and bog down. I had 9..7:1 comp. with the VS heads, 80% of the porting is around the exhaust valves. If you want to go a bigger cam you need to go to a different manifold with more airflow. Putting a bigger throttle body on the banana manifold doesn't change much.
I’ve got the starr elbow with the 100mm tb on it and the manifold has been “ported out” (I was told it was and haven’t really looked at it) but once it passes the pits soon I might throw a tunnel ram on it