Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore Leaking Coolant from sump plug

Spooner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commadore
I have an interesting one for you guys.

2000 VT commodore, 200k on the clock, started running rough once warm. Checked under filler cap, milky oil. Head gasket was my diagnosis.

Pulled off the inlet manifold and the gaskets there were stuffed, however i already had a gasket kit and the bolts so pulled the heads just to make sure they were ok. Head gaskets looked fine.

Cleaned the heads up, re-installed fresh gasket and torqued down following the sequence. Re-installed inlet manifold, using gasket maker in the corners between the block and the heads and put it all back together before dumping the oil.

while the oil was draining, i topped up the radiator with coolant and flush treatment, only to hear a dripping as water made its way through the motor and out the sump plug hole.

Ive since pulled off the inlet manifold again to make sure seals are properly in place (they were), and re-checked the torque settings on the heads.

I have also replaced the water pump with a brand new gates unit, sealant on gasket and on water pump bolts.

topped up and same problem.

have compression tested all cylinders and are all fine.

Im so over trying to work out where the coolant is getting into the block.

My last idea is the timing cover?

any ideas would be appreciated

Thanks

Dak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
I think, don't quote me, there is a cover on the rear of the block that can cause this, gearbox out job.

gazac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I broke a transmission line in the radiator & got Automatic transmission fluid in the water, what a mess
I needed a new radiator, heater pipe seals, water pump, all gasket & seals replaced, system flushed out,
it took 3 weeks to get it all out after many flushed outs, the thermostat had to be replaced & seeing
on a VE 3.6 it is at the back of the motor the gearbox had to come off to get to it, they did flushed the
gearbox & replaced the gaskets.

When they did the work they also found bad engine mount & transmission mount that had to be replaced

All up $2000 with a service, but I must say it is now going great.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
there is an oil feed passage on the rear crankshaft plate that is also next to where coolant is blocked off by the plate, mayb check that plates gasket. i had to replace mine just recently except i had coolant leaking externally from this seal not internally. it would be a bit of a bugger if its not this gasket tho as above said gear box has to come out just to do the job. i guess u get to replace the rear main seal while ur at it tho.

Spooner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commadore
ok thanks guys. It sounds as though its trickling from the front of the motor though? do i have to take the gearbox off to get to the rear cranshaft plate?

Thanks

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
yep or motor out lol but its easier to take the gear box out.

if u can hear it trickle from the front mayb it is timing cover? hopefully its not cracked