Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt commodore window/tail brake light issues

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Hi, i couldn't find a thread on this. And i just wanted to get some opinions on what the cause might be before i go to an auto electrician, just so i don't get ripped off.

Anyway the brake lights all work fine when the park/headlights are turned off, but when they're turned on the window brake light remains on[but dim] while driving with the tail lights. And when your actually braking the tail lights turn off completely, no brake lights either but the window light goes brighter when braking.

Hope that makes sense, any ideas?
Thank you :)

CommieKal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 SV6 Ute
If it wasn't dangerous i'd be laughing my arse off at you... LOL

I have no idea. have a look in your fuse box see if there's a relay that controls the lights. I recently had a relay (engine) clap out on me.

Do you have a sparky mate ? let him have a looksee at it.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It could be the wrong type of bulb in one of the taillights, or it could be an earthing problem.. Check all the bulbs to make sure they are the correct bulbs. Also clean all the blub holders and wiring connectors etc. Make sure all the body earths are clean and tight. The VS had a main body earth near the battery on the drivers side, im not sure where exactly the body earth is on the later models though, but just follow the negative battery lead and you will find it...
Some of these bulb holders can have grease in them, dont clean out this grease, its put there to help stop corrosion.

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Thanks a lot guys! I wouldn't have thought about any of those things, ill check it out :)

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Hey guys any other thoughts on this? Checked the bulbs and there correct. The only thing ive noticed is that the connecters are cracked and have a little bit of damage. I also noticed when i wiggle the bulb around, the brake light will stay on instead of the tail light and the window light will go off. Or the window light will stay on and the tail light will stay on.

I'm sorry if that's not exactly clear, its hard to explain haha. But hopefully you get the idea.

trav27

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
I'm thinking i might replace the wiring harness and see if that helps before getting ripped by an auto elec haha. Thoughts?

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
EDIT - I have just Fixed it, The issue was the ground wire did not have a good contact on the bulb holder, so when both the stop and headlight have to operate at same time, the ground wire cannot flow enough current to the battery to support power to both bulbs.

Hi Guys,

I am having this Exact problem, I searched it on google and what trav is describing is happening to my VT, It's a Wagon.

Basically, the Dual filament bulb on the LEFT rear plays up, right is fine.

When the headlights are off, both stop lights light up fine when braking.

Now but when the headlights are on, when you try to brake, the left rear light turns off totally, and it's brake light does not turn on.

I did not suspect it could be bulb holders otherwise one filament would never light up I'd think, it's either or.
I cleaned them up anyway, and it did not fix it, tried another bulb too.

What I don't understand is how the brake pedal switch is making the tail light turn off on one side, I have never seen a situation where one affects the other,
it's generally one doesn't work or other.

Last edited: