Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt ss 5.7L oil leak problem photo inside

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
My sump leaks a lot, it runs along the gasket and drips down on the transmission (getting it replaced along with rear main, rear main cover, and timing cover and front crank seal and a new clutch)

Joshelliot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT series 2 ss 5.7L
It's definitely engine oil .. Thanks for the help guys . Ill just leave it for now and wait till it gets bad .. Much appreciated

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
There is a cam sensor on top of the block directly above the rear main seal. These leak too. Either way I would suggest doing both if you take the trans out.

Oil pressure sensor is the the more common leak (also it's easier to fix than the cam sensor). The oil pressure sensor is located on the top passenger side of the engine at the rear. You can see it with the help of a torch and perhaps a mirror. First step would be to degrease the rear of the engine so that you can see where the leak is coming from. A bit fiddly to remove/reseal/replace due to lack of clearance but can be done in 10 mins. You need a long socket - can't remember the actual size - 26 or 27mm I think. You can also buy a special socket tool from Supercheap I believe.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
I`ve got a new sump seal and my vx LS leaks like this, its the rear main 100%, it will cost around $800-1k.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Oil pressure sensor is the the more common leak (also it's easier to fix than the cam sensor). The oil pressure sensor is located on the top passenger side of the engine at the rear. You can see it with the help of a torch and perhaps a mirror. First step would be to degrease the rear of the engine so that you can see where the leak is coming from. A bit fiddly to remove/reseal/replace due to lack of clearance but can be done in 10 mins. You need a long socket - can't remember the actual size - 26 or 27mm I think. You can also buy a special socket tool from Supercheap I believe.

Takes 5mins to pull the manifold off. Will get a better view that way....

If its rear main, and its looking likely, your choices are either motor out or box out. If you choose to pull the motor which can be done in a day I'd recommend doing front seal, rear main and sump gasket all at once.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
_MG_5842Medium.jpg

oil sensor location.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Like all holden's.....rear main seal.

slattery

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 2001
I`ve got a new sump seal and my vx LS leaks like this, its the rear main 100%, it will cost around $800-1k.

I too have the dredded rear main seal oil leak on the VX SS 5.7 2001 model. It's done 180,000km. Can anyone recommend someone in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne that does this repair job?

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
Thats rear main seal , usually these leak in cars because a lot of people sit their car or someone has in the past for long periods of time , what happens is the rear main seal gets hard , there is a solution Risslones rear main seal conditioner you can put in with your oil , but a lot of the time it does not work and only solution is to take out transmission

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Deleted. Realised it was an ancient thread after posting.