Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] VT/VX/VY Manual Conversion tips

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
Wat gearbox u gonna put in but? Getrag or t5? I've also heard bout the balancing for getrag. I put my t5 in no problem didn't take long to do, the longest part was waiting for tailshaft to get made lol

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
I didn't balance my flywheel, but I didn't do a new flywheel + clutch package either as it was all in good condition (only 97,000 old)

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
okay boys, seems yous have done the conversions already can you please help me, i have the getrag box to go underneath my 3.8 VT commodore, so i have the manual pedal box, shitfer/linkages, master/slave, clutch resovoir, gearbox, ecu & tailshaft off a VU Ute,

my question can i use the first half of the VU tailshaft on themanual box joining up to the rear tailshaft that is already on my auto VT?

also where could i get a hydraulic line made for the master to slave cylinders?? thanks heaps everyone

stevoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
s2 vt ss
you could but why not just find yourself a full tail shaft from a wreckers, and for the line mall wood or get a custom 1 from pirtek and remember new flywheel bolts ;)

okay boys, seems yous have done the conversions already can you please help me, i have the getrag box to go underneath my 3.8 VT commodore, so i have the manual pedal box, shitfer/linkages, master/slave, clutch resovoir, gearbox, ecu & tailshaft off a VU Ute,

my question can i use the first half of the VU tailshaft on themanual box joining up to the rear tailshaft that is already on my auto VT?

also where could i get a hydraulic line made for the master to slave cylinders?? thanks heaps everyone

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
you could but why not just find yourself a full tail shaft from a wreckers, and for the line mall wood or get a custom 1 from pirtek and remember new flywheel bolts ;)

i have tried all the wreckers in my region (north QLD) and all the manual vt's at every wreckers have been stripped of everything, so your saying that i could use the rear half of my VT auto tailshaft? thanks for that i will give mal wood a call and sort it out, did you also need to get a new shifter mount plate for your VT S1? as i have the same model, thanks

uNEEk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 3.8 V6 EQUIPE
no worries mate thanks for the info. helped me out alot cheers

3.8onboost

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 vy wagon
Hey guys some good info in here was wondering if everything out of a 01 vt would bolt into my 03 vy wagon getting the manual out of the vt and into vy.. any idea if its just a straight swap or will I need to blow more money? Let me know cheers

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
It's my understanding that the tailshaft is different between the VT and VX/VY, so you'll have to look at that. You'll need the PCM reprogrammed to work with the manual gearbox, but other than that it's all the same gearbox, clutch, engine, mounting points, etc. At least, as far as I'm aware there are no other differences between the VT and VY :). I would grab the workshop manuals for both, get familiar with them, and find out for certain.

madrx3boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Acclaim
It's my understanding that the tailshaft is different between the VT and VX/VY, so you'll have to look at that. You'll need the PCM reprogrammed to work with the manual gearbox, but other than that it's all the same gearbox, clutch, engine, mounting points, etc. At least, as far as I'm aware there are no other differences between the VT and VY :). I would grab the workshop manuals for both, get familiar with them, and find out for certain.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, just have a question about the electrical side of this.

If I just rewire the speedo sensor & reverse lights, and bypass the neutral safety switch, can I get away with just using the current auto BCM, PCM, and loom thats in the car, without doing anything else? Or does the Auto PCM still have to be reprogrammed as mentioned above? (And what's the difference between the manual & auto programming?)

Cheers