Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] VT-VZ Cabin filter mod.

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
My local supercheap has the 8mm scrivets, but they're about $6 for 3 of them so I was hoping to find them cheaper elsewhere :) So I need smaller ones as well? And push in ones? Hmmm I'll have to check out my car tonight and see what I need, before attempting to remove (and break) anything.

webbiegareth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2
for a bit of cheating here is a link to take apart he rain guard and get an idea of whats involved.
Upgrade Cabin Air Filter

carbon activated ones an be found here, you get 2 per pack.
C4 Picasso Pollen Cabin filter C4 Grand Picasso Kit Automatic AC 47XG | eBay

Okay ladies,

Here's the complete guide to installing a cabin filter. From Under8ed1's original post, read the link to give you an idea of how to remove all the bits you need, and order the C4 filter he linked (the listing has ended, but it's been relisted, so just keep clicking through till you get the current one for sale). It ends up being a different brand, but it's the same thing and the same size. It was around $30 something delivered I think. You can buy it locally in Australia but it was a bit cheaper ordering the one off Ebay, and I'm cheapskate and happy to wait the 2 - 3 weeks for it to arrive.

If you want to save more, Under8ed1 linked to one without the charcoal in it, so it's just the paper filter.

Pop the hood and remove the windscreen wiper arms. Use a small flathead screwdriver to remove the plastic lugs, then a ratchet to undo the nut on each arm. With the nut off, you can't pull the wiper straight off. Around the centre of the arm there's a flexible bend - push it towards the windscreen to straighten the arm, then pull the whole arm off the bolt. It's a piece of cake once you realise you need to straighten the arm first.

Then it's time to get those nasty little scrivets out. DO NOT use a phillips head screwdriver! Use a SMALL flat head screwdriver that fits the slot in the screw. Do NOT push downwards with any force, just put the flathead into the slot and start turning slowly with no downward force. The screw comes out very easy when you do this!

I managed to get all screws out without breaking a single one of them. With the screws out, use the flathead screwdriver to wedge under the scrivet support thing to pull it out, and put them with the screws so you don't lose anything.

Now pull everything out the three plastic shrouds, put them on the lawn and hose it all down - might as well give it a clean now.

Have a look at what's left - it's a bit dirty and the metal cover will be covered in crap.

Here's mine - a VXII with 300,000km's on the clock and it's never been cleaned before:

part1hh.jpg

Now, get your missus out of the kitchen and ask her to get you the vaccuum cleaner. If you're a real man, you won't know where she keeps it so you'd better ask. Vaccuum out all the crap from this area of the car, undo the clip, pull out the wire frame and the vaccuum some more.

Here's my wire frame:

part2djy.jpg

Clean off the wire frame, and pull off the foam crap as it's probably completely wrecked. Vaccuum it some more, then give the vaccuum back to your missus.

Now the filter is pretty close to a perfect size, but it's a fraction too big (just like me hehe...). Firstly, two sides of the filter have a firmer edge that extends a few mm past the filter material. Trim those few mm's off. Then, on one corner, cut it to an angle, like this (badly drawn red circles show the spots you'll need to cut/trim):

part3p.jpg

NOTE - the filter flows are a certain way - you can barely see it, but the arrow is pointing downwards in the photo. So it's the TOP side of the filter you need to trim to slide it in. You'll see what I mean once you try to fit the filter in.

You'll now be able to fit it into the slot in the car, and try fitting the metal frame back on. It's not a very good fit, and it won't slot back into the frame, but you should be able to just clip it down enough to hold it in place:

part4q.jpg

And there you go!

Now put the plastic shrouds back on, then get the scrivets back in. This is actually the hardest part of the whole thing! Those bloody scrivet "legs" need to be squeezed together and pushed in the holes. I used the small flathead screwdriver to push the legs together as I pushed it into the whole... then gently screw the screws in with the small flathead screwdriver.

Be careful with the rubber against the windscreen to align it properly, particularly on the ends of the windscreen where the bonnet supports are!

Then put the wipers back on, use the ratched to get the bolts on, then the plastic lugs on top.

Now go have a beer or three.

Last edited:

echelon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Thanks, very helpful. I didn't install a filter but used this post as a guide on how to get in there.
My mesh was 50% blocked at 170k and I had to make a new seal. All good and blowing better :)
Leaffilter2_zpsa58de165.jpg

Leaffilter3_zpsf3a26629.jpg

vysv8stingred

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CALAIS V6 SUPERCHARGED AUTO
getting the plastic lugs out without the hassle!,

Well i tried to atleast pull the guard and such up to clean under there, before doing the filter, except i cannot get the stupid screw lug type things out, they do nothing when trying to 'unscrew' them except free spin.

I ended up ripping one out and braking the section of the guard where the mount is.. so i won't try that again on any others..

So how do you get them stupid things out without destroying them or the guard?
Drill a 2 mm hole in the centre of the scrivet with a battery drill preferably, Get a self tapper from anywhere in the interior of the car approx.20- 25 mm long ( matchstick thickness) turn the self tapper a couple of threads into the centre of the scrivet screw 2 - 21/2 turns should do it, while pushing firmly on the star screwdriver and simply pull the centre screw straight out (with pliers) they can be reused, YES they can with this method. Hope that helps.:lock:

Blackout

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I have done this, not the cabin filter, but remove everything & cleaned all the leaves & crap from the mesh. I actually enclosed the mesh in stocking material, but that was years ago & probably is dirty now.

I am very interested in grabbing these filters & giving them a real go.

Do these Citroen cabin air filters actually fit directly inside the mesh???

TheApothecary

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Acclaim Wagon
Major Bump. The links are dead in OPs post.

I used the RCA174MS (Trade price $30 - Retail $85 - the box contains 2 filters). You may be better off with HEPA filters off ebay that you can cut and shove in the void behind the mesh screen.

It fits in without modification however there's a 1cm gap on both sides, so it's not quite spot on.

Those plastic scrivets are Satan however, and I could only get them out via drilling the center and using a self tapping screw & pliers.

Also just wanted to say cheers for the help

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Resurrecting old thread so I can do this mod to mine.

Can anyone please point me to the right Ryco or Wesfil (or equivalent) filter to fit? I come across ones on eBay that seem to be twice the width of what was stated above ( 290mmX98mmX30mm) so I am getting confused.

Thanks

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i bought the picasso pollen charcoal, i found the ac whistled on high speed recirculate with the filter mod so ended up going back to the screen

Last edited:

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
i found the ac whistled on high speed recirculate with the filter mod so ended up going back to the screen

Would that have been anything to do with the type of filter you used?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i bought the picasso pollen charcoal as mentioned in first post which whistled
i will edit my last post to include that