Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX commodore Oil Leaks - Diagnosis

keithy111

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Holden Caprice 2006
G'day,

Have nothing else to do with my time but to try figure out where me oil leaks are coming from with me VX commodore. Oil is leaking quite rapidly atm (having to top up every 5months) ... I've gathered a couple of images, I'm assuming its coming from the rear of the engine (rear main seal), however not 100% with this...
Here are the images;
20180624_124340_zpshx8krkis.jpg

confirmation

confirmation

20180624_124346_zpsvwsi2imx.jpg

20180624_124424_zpsvgyq25cb.jpg

^^ Sump is at the very top of image above -- Doubt Sump is leaking
confirmation

Cheers boys !

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
most likely rocker covers
go to carwash and get that engine really clean
tomorrow see where it is oily

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
also oil pressure sender or oil pan itself, last and most expensive rear main.

but yeah as above - degrease the crap out of it and you should find out pretty quick where it is.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
excellent advice.
Just to go one step further and explain why. The oil that you are dropping all over the place gets into the engine mounts and makes then sag prematurely. A VX would have probably had them already done , maybe even twice - but it's the oil that will ruin them again

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Just to go one step further and explain why. The oil that you are dropping all over the place gets into the engine mounts and makes then sag prematurely. A VX would have probably had them already done , maybe even twice - but it's the oil that will ruin them again

why would they be done? My VX2 had it's first set done earlier this year. The fact that the engine had to be lifted to get at the sump gasket was an excellent opportunity to do the mounts.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
If they were recently done then they will probably be ok. It will take a while for the oil to destroy them but you must get the leak fixed or you know now what will happen,
OOPS, different person. I see what you mean now.
If your VX has only just had them done that's good you must have not had oil leaks too badly.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
How'd you go after degreasing the engine, trans and underside, found where the oil is leaking from?

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Tighten all your rocker cover gaskets, use some rear main seal stop leak chemical in the oil, because it tries to plug all the small leaks (rocker covers to rear main seal)
If the problem is rear main seal, why?

Do you habitually over fill your oil, are you building up pressure in crank case because of blocked pcv.
Has gritty oil cut grooves in your crank. You might have to sleeve it or it will cut up your new seal.

What happens if you double check your engine oil level to be correct, Loosen your oil cap (but make sure it doesn't fall off while engine running) so it can release any pressure that might build up in your crank case. Does that slow down your oil leak?