Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX v6 n/a ecotec tick - I need help lads!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Nice sentences.....

So stufffed oil control rings won't effect oil pressure? Glad I don't take your advise
No because oil pressure is from the pump, its measured between pump and sump, only thing blow by will do is spray oil everywhere instead of the pump delivering the necessary oil to lubricate the bearings and so on. You don't have a compressor inside the sump to fill it with air.
If blow-by gets real bad oil can start blowing out your dip stick.

Oh and burn oil which will block your screen on the pump after awhile with all the gunk from burning oil.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
No because oil pressure is from the pump, its measured between pump and sump, only thing blow by will do is spray oil everywhere instead of the pump delivering the necessary oil to lubricate the bearings and so on. You don't have a compressor inside the sump to fill it with air.
If blow-by gets real bad oil can start blowing out your dip stick.

Glad I don't take your advise then.....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... So stufffed oil control rings won't effect oil pressure? Glad I don't take your advise
I thought the oil system was designed so oil passing through the crank was flung out of the con rod big end onto the cylinder wall. The oil control rings would then wipe off and fling the oil excess back down the sump. The oil control ring’s job is to ensure the remaining oil film doesn’t overpower the compression rings and end up in the combustion chamber and get burnet up.

As such oil pressure is a result of oil system design which includes such items as pump volume output, bearing clearances and oil viscosity amongst other more esoteric things. But oil control, rings have a different job and don’t impact oil pressure per se.

If you have a different understanding, do share but don’t insult...

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Well said SL .... and TLH though you get mixed up sometimes from answering 2 many posts.

Greatest oil pressure is at pump after all that is what it does and best place to test.
We don't pack cylinders with vasoline to get oil pressure either hehe.

Maybe someone is getting confused with squirting oil in cylinders to test compression readings or thinks oil in cylinders forces oil with pressure in between vital bearings and parts.
Cylinders are not part of the oiling Compression test doesn't give you oil pressure readings, it indicates where oil consumption/loss is being burnt if no oil leaks anywhere else.

Worn oil control rings leaking oil into the 4 engine strokes will result in lower crankcase pressure and slight lower oil flow and if compression rings are worn as well then you have blow back and engine/compression issues and we all know what eventually that means.l

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Re: Exhaust manifold leak, A while ago i was idling with the A/C on a hot day, car conked and wouldn't start. I lifted the hood and it was freaking hot in there. The crap factory battery terminals had expanded and went loose and couldn't be tightened anymore (the bottom part had snapped) so i put a couple of screws in between to tighten it and got the car running. Later i replaced the terminals.

It was insanely hot under the bonnet, compared with my old VT (which didn't have A/C working though). I thought there might be an exhaust leak, but then i thought if that was the case i would be able to hear it.

I mention this because it might offer clues. Like if there was a bad battery connection maybe it wasn't firing properly and caused other issues.

It runs well, has heaps of power/torque other than the catastrophic sound LOL.

Just trying to rule out all the easy fixes before i resort to a swap. The car is in othewise great shape.

So it looks like:
We can rule out timing chain tensioner issue
Might be a lifter problem, a damaged cam, oil pump, or the balancer hitting the CAS, or *gulp* bottem end bearings.

Do all your checks first like a compression test but you said it drives and has heaps of power/torque so its not a piston/ring/rod issue,

Then oil pressure test at pump to rule it out if okay in case pressure spring has compressed or broken and valve is rattling ?, Check cas but you changed the harmonic balancer already so it should be ok,

Then as losh said, check roller lifters and cam bearing system and balance bar, and then if all okay its pretty much a bottom end issue, Its time to pull engine out for recon or get another one simples.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I thought the oil system was designed so oil passing through the crank was flung out of the con rod big end onto the cylinder wall. The oil control rings would then wipe off and fling the oil excess back down the sump. The oil control ring’s job is to ensure the remaining oil film doesn’t overpower the compression rings and end up in the combustion chamber and get burnet up.

As such oil pressure is a result of oil system design which includes such items as pump volume output, bearing clearances and oil viscosity amongst other more esoteric things. But oil control, rings have a different job and don’t impact oil pressure per se.

If you have a different understanding, do share but don’t insult...

Ever taken note of oil pressure change when you have changed the oil?

Do you know what happens when oil gets pass the oil control rings and how it effects the oil?

Answer those questions then it makes it easier to understand how a full compression test would show it up

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore

Do you know what happens when oil gets pass the oil control rings and how it effects the oil?

Answer those questions then it makes it easier to understand how a full compression test would show it up

Just give up your digging a bigger hole.

Oil pressure change with oil change lol, unless your putting the wrong oil rating like 20w 60 in a engine that uses 10w 15 then the pressure will be almost the same, on cold start ups pressure will be always a little higher till the oil gets up to operating temperature then it will steady down, again monitored close to the pump, not by sump pressure.

Oil passing the oil rings gets burnt up causing what they call sludge / burnt carbon which can build up on top of your piston crowns and also block your oil filter giving you less oil pressure and fowling plugs to changing fuel mixture ratio, still no change to oil pressure unless the screen becomes blocked,
what your saying is testing the cylinder for pressure tells you oil pressure in the sump that is not so, slant engines always ware down more on the down side so you always get a little leakage back to the sump that's why they have a PVC valve to bring the sump pressure back to zero so no changers to pressure within the sump which will prevent pushing out your crank seals, if that was to happen your seals will be leaking, it also reburns those gases via the egr valve to lower carbon emissions.

You don't know if your oil pressure is low or high via the cylinders its that simple unless you remove your oil sensor and put on a pressure gauge unless your superman and have x-ray vision and can see your oil pump screen is blocked due to sludge from burnt oil..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Some old oil gets thicker as it ages while some seem to get thinner and viscosity impacts oil pressure. Oil pressure in the main feed post pump will obviously be impacted with new oil in such a case.
If it gets past the oil control rings, it gets burnt in the combustion chamber.
A full compression test assesses the sealing ability of the combustion chamber which is primarily impacted by the cylinder wall finish and compression rings. A full compression test does not indicate anything about oil pressure as produced by the oil pump.

A full compression test requires a wet and a dry test. A wet test is when oil is squirted into the combustion chamber and the compression measured. A dry oil test is when no oil is squirted into the combustion chamber and compression measured. If there is any appreciable improvement with a wet test as compared to a dry test, then compression rings or cylinder walls or both are stuffed.

As @Vin999 said, maybe we are talking cross purposes here and terminology has been confused.