Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VX with rough idle.... possible causes?

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by tracey5583, Jul 5, 2014.

1. tracey5583

tracey5583 New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Commodore Wagon
    Hi Guys,

I recently bought a VX and yesterday it started idling roughly (about 700rpm) and on a number of occasions stalled on approaching a stop. Doesn't seem to have the power it had before.

What are the possible causes for this? Being a single mum I'm not in a position to take to the mechanic for something that I may be able to do myself.

Are there any basic checks I can do to try to identify the problem?

Thanks in advance :)

2. SavVYute

SavVYute Active Member

Members Ride:
    VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
    The easy things to check first would be...

The 6 spark plug leads are tight at one end to the tops of the spark plugs and at the other end where they connect to the coils.

Check none of the black rubber vacuum hoses that connect to the engine and throttle body have come off.
    There's one that connects to under the throttle body and a bit hard to see that can come adrift.

3. Nut Kracker

Nut Kracker Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VT SS 304ci (195i)
    As SavVYute said above.
    It sounds like you have a vacuum leak.

The hoses pictured below are vacuum hoses that connect to the inlet manifold.
    You need to inspect these hoses to see if they have a split, are perished, or have become disconnected.

The picture at top left, is the one SavVYute is talking about, as this "crankcase ventilation hose" has a tendency to disconnect its self.
    The EGR pipe at top right can be a problem, but not usually.
    The hoses at bottom left in the picture, are at the back of the engine.
    It will be easier to inspect these with the engine cover off.

[​IMG]

4. hotrod

hotrod Banned

Members Ride:
    commodore s2
    1/ purge hose under the body throttle ............ make sure its connected at both ends.

2/ if all air lines are in contact clean your body throttle and ICV or replace ICV .

3/ if its still not right replace plugs and leads .

4/ if its still not right coil pack and DFI ..... start from cheapest first good luck.

can be a blocked injector or the pressure fuel regulator .

5. chriso-k

chriso-k Motor Mechanic, SYDNEY

Members Ride:
    VE Commodore
    Hello Tracey.

Lucky for you, this mechanic comes for free.
    Realistically, you need to have a scan tool hooked up to your car to see what's going on. If you do have a vacuum leak, the scan tool will pick this up immediately! Check out the pictures, by Nut Kracker, above. Especially the first one of the throttle body. There is a vacuum hose (shown in the pic) that is VERY common for "falling off". But I guess you need to know what you're listening for! Failing all this, sometimes the ECU software can become corrupted (especially if people jump start cars) and may require a simple idle reset of your software. But I would say predominantly, vacuum leaks, which is un-metered air entering the engine, need to be ruled out first and foremost Hope this helps