Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 3.8L S
Need new pulleys for my VY but I'm not sure if I should by them through Holden or online. From Holden they're about $280 for the lot and online they're about $140 ( https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/182268525515 ). The person selling the pulleys online said the Holden dealers are plastic and that theirs are metal, does that make them better? Can anyone reccomend somewhere I can get a good reliable set for the 3.8L Supercharged?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Get the aftermarket metal pulleys simply because should a bearing fail again in the future you can just replace the bearing rather than the whole pulley again :)

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 3.8L S
Get the aftermarket metal pulleys simply because should a bearing fail again in the future you can just replace the bearing rather than the whole pulley again :)
Are the metal ones likely to last longer than the plastic ones for any other reason?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's not the pulley that fails but rather the bearing. Unfortunately the bearing is molded into the plastic pulley and can not be changed where as with the steel pulleys the bearings can be changed.