Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy commodore 3.8L ecotec

brody robertson

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 3.8 commodore
Hey guys just got a quick question, iv'e noticed that my vy has trouble losing traction, I have a complete exhaust system, LSD with 3.4:1 ratio, and gmax 19" by 9" wheels and tyres, it has plenty of hour but even in the wet it grips up real quick. also when pulling handbrakes around corners it makes a loud bang in the rear end, i have read about in the drum that it hits the front point and makes the noise but it still happens after i have rolled it to the front point. i am planning to go to the track soon and don't want to embarrass myself cause my car isn't prepared, can anyone help me out?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Get rid of the big, heavy wheels for a start. There's no chance that you'll get the rears to spin with an lsd in a heavy car with an IRS rear end and an auto. If you add cheap, crappy tyres to the equation, you might have a chance that you'll get the wheels to spin in the wet but the chances are still slim.

Why are you using the handbrake around corners, and why do you want to lose traction?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Big wheels and no power = no loss of traction.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
In that case, make sure you have a spare flywheel handy if it's still the original dual mass unit ;)

Buy some steel 15" wheels and that should be much easier on it. When I put the stock 15's back on mine it felt like I'd gained an extra 20kw lol plus, tyres are dirt cheap.

brody robertson

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 3.8 commodore
I have stock 16" alloys sitting around!
And not to sure if it has had any clutch repairs, for all i know at the moment it's original

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
Handbrake will always make a loud bang. It's made for keeping the vehicle stationary! If you want to lock the rears utilise the appropriate mod.

brody robertson

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 3.8 commodore
Okay thanks dave
i just don't understand why the vy ss don't do it in the videos i've seen

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Hydraulic actuated disc brakes on rear?