Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Full Sound system advice

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok ok well we were all confused we thought you were going either side of the car.

Well put 2 10's in it then, run a subsonic filter so they don't bottom out, load the box with as much polyfill as you can, make sure the amp has plenty in reserve, and then give them hell, easy :smoking:

And that will give me the best bass with what I have?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well considering right now you have a sub box and no car then yeah it's going to sound a fair bit better.

2 x 10's will give you more surface area (more noise in one way of putting it) Being a sealed enlcosure, and a very small one, your going to lose some efficiency and output, but you will gain some power handling, make the most of it, ensure the amp has well beyond the subs will handle.

A subsonic filter will cut the low fq's (really low ones) you can't ask a 10'' sub to dig low and play loud, finding the right balance will be important. How much do you want to spend total, amp, subs, wiring kit, so forth, and i can link you straight to something that won't waste you money if you don't want to do too much looking around.

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well considering right now you have a sub box and no car then yeah it's going to sound a fair bit better.

2 x 10's will give you more surface area (more noise in one way of putting it) Being a sealed enlcosure, and a very small one, your going to lose some efficiency and output, but you will gain some power handling, make the most of it, ensure the amp has well beyond the subs will handle.

A subsonic filter will cut the low fq's (really low ones) you can't ask a 10'' sub to dig low and play loud, finding the right balance will be important. How much do you want to spend total, amp, subs, wiring kit, so forth, and i can link you straight to something that won't waste you money if you don't want to do too much looking around.

Subs - $200-300
Amp-$400-$500
Wiring - whatever it costs
Head unit -$300
Speakers - don't know much about their prices... But yeah maybe $200

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Mobile Electronics AU | Articles | Affordable 6.5” Two Way Components Review

if your after a decent set of speakers have a look at that review, i have the morel maximo 6 in my ute and picked them up for $200, looking at the morel dotech ovations for my next car

however if possible i would advise amping whatever speakers you get to run them to their full potential

also if possible try to listen to the speakers before buying, so you can decide of they sound good to you

EDIT:

i guess the biggest question i have is, are you after a sound quality based setup that can go loud and bassy whilst not sacrificing clarity and ending up with distortion?
or are you just after a loud sub that can be heard a couple blocks away and your just gunna run average speakers?

personally i love bass music and hearing and feeling the double kick drum in a rock song or the low sweeps of dubstep and hip hop, but in my recent older years ive started to appreciate the crystal clarity music and systems that really makes you feel and be involved in the music rather than just hear it and shake the **** out of everything in my car

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Is that each for the subs? Anyways if it isn't just drop the speakers and do them later when you can afford.

Subs - Kicker CVT102 10" Car Subwoofer - RYDA Car Audio($198.85) These because they are some of the few 10'' shallows that are 2 ohm, (or any dual 4 ohm dosen't matter) this will allow you to wire them down to 1ohm to make the most of an amp (providing the amp is stable at 1 ohm the one i have linked is of course)

Amp - Fusion CA-DA12250 Car Amplifier - RYDA Car Audio($348.85) Watts per dollar 1100rms for $350 is good

Head unit - You choose, pretty much you get what you pay for, and most models in the same price range perform equally, it will come down to which one you like the look of the most, unless it has a specific feature.

Wiring - Gonna set you back about 100 bucks.

So $850 get's you the amp, subs and wiring, pick a head unit you like, get it all going, then later on look into upgrading your speakers, you'll probably want to listen to them on a demo board before you buy them, and decide how much you need to spend to be happy.

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is that each for the subs? Anyways if it isn't just drop the speakers and do them later when you can afford.

Subs - Kicker CVT102 10" Car Subwoofer - RYDA Car Audio($198.85) These because they are some of the few 10'' shallows that are 2 ohm, (or any dual 4 ohm dosen't matter) this will allow you to wire them down to 1ohm to make the most of an amp (providing the amp is stable at 1 ohm the one i have linked is of course)

Amp - Fusion CA-DA12250 Car Amplifier - RYDA Car Audio($348.85) Watts per dollar 1100rms for $350 is good

Head unit - You choose, pretty much you get what you pay for, and most models in the same price range perform equally, it will come down to which one you like the look of the most, unless it has a specific feature.

Wiring - Gonna set you back about 100 bucks.

So $850 get's you the amp, subs and wiring, pick a head unit you like, get it all going, then later on look into upgrading your speakers, you'll probably want to listen to them on a demo board before you buy them, and decide how much you need to spend to be happy.

Thanks a tone man that pretty much what I wanted to know, just to clear up anything my little head hasn't got yet... You rekon slam 2x 10's into my 1cu/ft box, get that filter, stuff it with padding and slam them?
Also to clear anything else up, for now I have one box and I want SQ but also slamming bass that I can feel(when I want it to) so best of bOth worlds if I can thankyou! You guys have been great!!!

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Your not getting it, each sub will need that 1cu ft on their own, you said the enlosure can hold 2 x 10's, if it's only 1cu ft then it can't, you've got some specs wrong.

Please link to the enclosure you have. SS filter is built into the amp, often if you have a larger sub you wouldn't use it.

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your not getting it, each sub will need that 1cu ft on their own, you said the enlosure can hold 2 x 10's, if it's only 1cu ft then it can't, you've got some specs wrong.

Please link to the enclosure you have. SS filter is built into the amp, often if you have a larger sub you wouldn't use it.

okay thanks man, the box is only 1 cu/ft but it has enough cut out room to hold two 10's (you cut the holes yourself)
anyway i understand now, just one 12" in the box.... pack it with this filling ****, use the SS filter on the amp and then they should sound closer to what i want? if im not getting it still just dont bother hahaha im not to cluey as you can clearly tell

ASC002A Ute Subwoofer Enclosure

read that, i think maybe there just dumb ahahha

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vy-vz-wk-wl-v2/166888-2005-vz-storm-s-ute-turismo-blue-6.html

Scroll down to post #137 and that's my sub and box combo

I see what you mean and yeah the box you have could fit two 10" subs but I wouldn't recommend it, if I was you I would look at a good quality 12" sub that suits ~26 litres and throw it in there mate

Okay guys I've fully understood what you have said but I have 1 more question would you recommend I put in a 12" that is recommended at a 0.2bigger space than I have or a 10" that's recommended at 0.2 under what I have so I have a bit of play

Box - 0.96cu/ft
12" - recommended 1.2 cu/ft (stuff a lot of padding in)
10" - recommended 0.8 cu/ft

I would prefer a 12" sun all up but of it will sound sh***y I'll have to look at a 10"