Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Full Sound system advice

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
id just get the 12" mate, shouldnt decrease the performance of the sub with the slightly smaller box, just put the padding in it cos thatll make the box seem bigger to the sub

a 12" sub is a better all rounder for different types of music, though if you have the right enclosure a 15" sub can still be tight and punchy

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
id just get the 12" mate, shouldnt decrease the performance of the sub with the slightly smaller box, just put the padding in it cos thatll make the box seem bigger to the sub

a 12" sub is a better all rounder for different types of music, though if you have the right enclosure a 15" sub can still be tight and punchy

Yeah for sure man, I think I can fit a 12 kicker cvr in there, hopefully that works cause that's a full size 12" ;) also if I stuff it with padding and the padding touches the back of the sub is there any chance of it burning or sounding bad or anything?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
the sub shouldnt get hot enough to burn it but you dont need to stuff it full, just put a layer around the inside walls of the enclosure, what are you planning on using for the padding inside?

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
the sub shouldnt get hot enough to burn it but you dont need to stuff it full, just put a layer around the inside walls of the enclosure, what are you planning on using for the padding inside?

Oh okay well that's all fine then, just the full size sub will probably be only 5-10mm away from the walls..

Not sure at all, what's good for it?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Have a look JL make a 13'' shallow, not cheap though about $600 from memory. I haven't heard one, but it would want to be good for that sort of money.

The polyfill can absorb and slow down rear standing waves, and can make the enlcosure act as if if were larger. The key word being "can" doesn't mean it will make any audible difference, however no one's ever reported any negative results from stuffing a sealed box.

How much you use is up to you, or how many pillows your missus will let you rip up....

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have a look JL make a 13'' shallow, not cheap though about $600 from memory. I haven't heard one, but it would want to be good for that sort of money.

The polyfill can absorb and slow down rear standing waves, and can make the enlcosure act as if if were larger. The key word being "can" doesn't mean it will make any audible difference, however no one's ever reported any negative results from stuffing a sealed box.

How much you use is up to you, or how many pillows your missus will let you rip up....

Yeah alpine have the type r which is $600 I may be able to fit a full size sub so I'll see how I go cause id rather a full size one :)

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Oh okay well that's all fine then, just the full size sub will probably be only 5-10mm away from the walls..

Not sure at all, what's good for it?
Ideally, you should have 25mm+ for the rear vent of the speaker to "breathe".

Jake.7410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ideally, you should have 25mm+ for the rear vent of the speaker to "breathe".

Do you rekon it would be okay without that space, I just really don't want a slimline

EDIT: The whole box depth isn't even 25mm