Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ damaged radiator cap side-effect?

mohamedelkady

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ
Hi,

I have a commodore/lumina VZ with a damaged rubber seal in the water cap. the water inside the engine levels down regularly, However, the water level in the reservoir tank levels up!

Two days ago the engine got hot suddenly. I checked the reservoir tank, the water was almost full but in the engine there was a 1-liter-lack and air bubbles (which I assume this is the cause of hot temp).

The question is that does a damaged water cap cause water to move from the engine to the reservoir and not coming back or I am in front of another cooling system problem?

Thank you,

edit: uploaded a photo of the damaged cap.

Attachments

• FB2B6AA0-8B63-4C49-BA78-6DB956F9B523.jpeg
    FB2B6AA0-8B63-4C49-BA78-6DB956F9B523.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 695
Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
A new cap will fix your problems .if the rubber seal is broken then coolant will escape from the radiator into the overflow but will not be sucked back in when it cool off so you will get air in the system .

mohamedelkady

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ
@Dayvo thank you for the reply, that was quick :) I will work on that, I hope everything will go well.
Thank you again.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
Replace the cap, but make sure you bleed the radiator now that you have air in the system. Although, looking at that radiator cap, you must have a different cooling system. Post a photo of the engine bay.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Replace the cap, but make sure you bleed the radiator now that you have air in the system. Although, looking at that radiator cap, you must have a different cooling system. Post a photo of the engine bay showing the radiator and front of engine.

I agree, nothing like standard vz radiator caps.

mohamedelkady

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VZ
looking at that radiator cap, you must have a different cooling system. Post a photo of the engine bay.

That looks like a brand new radiator cap.

I agree, nothing like standard vz radiator caps.

@rambunctious @VT&VX @99notout Thank you all for the reply. the photo above is for sure not the VZ cap, Just a random photo from the search to show the damaged part in my cap cause I did not picture it. Fortunately I replaced it yesterday with a new one.
I will be trying to post a photo of the damaged cap tonight as a future reference if any body will read this topic.
Thank you all one more time.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
No worries, but remember to bleed the air out of your radiator.