Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Watch out for 4WD's!!!

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
vh-holden said:
I'm pretty certain that if the woman involved had been driving a commodore wagon, she probably would have hit even worse and done more damage. Would you have made a thread saying "Watch out for commodore drivers"?

Probably not. It was just a shocking display of driving. What really got me was how she didn't notice hitting me when the Commodore was shaking like mad. I'm afraid I have just seen many inconsiderate and selfish displays of driving by people in 4WD vehicles.

I'm not saying inconsiderate driving of cars never happens,but I think SOME 4WD drivers use the height and size of the vehicle to intimidate other road users and push into spaces they wouldn't try to in a car.

If you have to do off-road work, or really enjoy off-roading and your car gets used for the purpose it was designed for, then thats fair enough. But why buy something like a Landcruiser to take your one kid to school and go shopping in town? And if you do own one, shouldn't you be able to drive it properly?i.e.know how long and wide it is, and know approximately where the corners of the vehicle are so you don't keep hitting stuff with it!!

I'll shut up now, as I only really posted this thread to say I got hit! I didn't mean to criticize all 4WD drivers with the opening post as obviously not all will be bad drivers, but the above is my honest opinion. The thread title didn't exactly read as I meant it to but I couldn't come up with anything better.

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
stocky said:
yeah i probably am. i agree about the subaru though. ive driven a 2003 outback off road and it goes well, my parents are looking at getting the 2006 forester at the moment.

Ive thought a few times about going the Forrester GT route....they are damn fine setups. Even liberty GT would be bloody nice.

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
Having just returned from Barcaldine and Longreach, I have made some observations about 4x4's out there.
1: It was extremely rare to see a totally clean one.
2: they all had very "functional" looking bullbars...not all shiny and polished alloy mirror-finished ones...and seeing as how from Emerald in to Barcaldine we probably saw ten thousand roos and wallabees, and only five of them alive instead of splattered all over the road, I'd have a bloody great bullbar to if I lived out there...:thumbsup:
3: If you have less than four spotlights, your manhood will be questioned. Six is preferable. See the above comment about kangaroo-infested roads...
4: Diesel is king.
5: If you can see out the back window of your ute between the stickers, or still see paint on the tailgate between them, you simply aren't trying hard enough.
6: The many professional shooters we saw in Barcaldine and other towns out there can drive a battered ute with a frame covered in about thirty dead roo's on it through the main street of town after a profitable night out, and no-one, but no-one, bats an eyelid.
7: Bulldust builds a vehicles character.

They all looked great, and more importantly were in thier "natural environment", and were obviously being used as the designers intended.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
They're making vehicles for the soccer mums these days while still making their proper 4WDs.. I bet if you took one of those cheap arse soccer-mum "4wd's" off-road it probably would fall apart

V

vnberlwagon

darkcold said:
They're making vehicles for the soccer mums these days while still making their proper 4WDs.. I bet if you took one of those cheap arse soccer-mum "4wd's" off-road it probably would fall apart
Now Ford of all people have put a rearview camera in the tailgate so the women (not being sexist) who drive little Johnnie to school and then go to the hairdressers and shopping can see if Tiddles the cat or Rover the dog are in the driveway. If these people can't check behind the vehicle first before they get in they shpouldn't be driving such a large vehicle. They think having a big shiny bullbar will protect them in a front on collision, bullbars actually cause more damage to their own vehicle. Because of the vehicle height and weight, in the wet they are more likely to understeer if travelling too quickly through a roundabout. And lastly I heard that the imported 4wd's actually attract a discount because of the lower import tarrifs for 4wd"s.

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
not so much 4wd drivers but the 4wds themselves.....they arent made for suburbia!!!!

YEA!!
Bit like performance cars really isn't it.
Most of the responses here remind me of that P plater bashing thread, well done to those :)

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
darkcold said:
Even the modern Landcruisers & Patrols cant handle any full time dirt work anymore. We have at least one a month come into the shop for repairing & bracing. These are from the part time 4wd brigade & not from the cattle stations.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
my pop and his brother both have toyota prado's, the softy landcruiser. now theres nothing weak about these vehicles, the grands just got back from a 2.5 month trip from where we live in the middle of nsw all the way up to cairns and towards the middle a bit...now when this prado is at home it is always spotless, u wouldnt think it had ever touched dirt in its life...so it just shows that those big clean, shined up 4wds actually do go dirt and can handle it...though thats just my grandparents.

i've been cut off by a prado while i was doing my p's test...so yeah i agree that if u cant drive them sensibly/properly u shouldnt have one.

(and klugers arent even AWD they r all 2wd)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Matty081 said:
YEA!!
Bit like performance cars really isn't it.
Most of the responses here remind me of that P plater bashing thread, well done to those :)
so your relating performance cars to P Platers?

The VL had on my P's was far from performance. I think someone is misinformed.

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
so your relating performance cars to P Platers?

The VL had on my P's was far from performance. I think someone is misinformed.

How did you figure that?
Point is, 4x4's have as much right to be on the road as high performance built vehicles.
How can anyone justify a high powered vehicle built to "race" as opposed to a larger not as powerful vehicle built to go offroad?
It's the senseless and pointless bashing that reminds me of the p plater thread, sorry if I didn't make that clear.