Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Water leak in passenger side of car

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 ute
it appears to be coming from the area near the cabin filter area on a SV 6 VE uty 2010 , the drain is not blocked it is not coolant it is rain water and can be seen running down the firewall on the inside of the car, i have striped the ghlove box out i have taken the scuttle covers off from the windsreen but cannot locate exactly where the leaks is coming from
Any idears would be appreciated

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Sounds like it is the same place where mine was leaking. Mine was leaking between the firewall and the top of the pollen filter shroud. Water ran down behind the firewall on the passenger side and under the carpet
rsz_1leaking_cowl.jpg

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
OK looks the same as what I have, how did you fix this
I sealed it with silastic . This was about 6 years ago and still good. Keep in mind that between the carpet and underfelt there is a layer of plastic sheeting, so even when the carpet dries out the underfelt and floor will still be soaked. I put newspaper under the underfelt for a few weeks to soak up most of it then used a heat gun to dry out the rest.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You have to wonder is it common fault, or was a batch of the builds that had this fault,
Interesting place for it to leak,
Lack of sealant, or body movement/flex for it to crack.

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 ute
I sealed it with silastic . This was about 6 years ago and still good. Keep in mind that between the carpet and underfelt there is a layer of plastic sheeting, so even when the carpet dries out the underfelt and floor will still be soaked. I put newspaper under the underfelt for a few weeks to soak up most of it then used a heat gun to dry out the rest.
Thanks for the update and will check it out

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You have to wonder is it common fault, or was a batch of the builds that had this fault,
Interesting place for it to leak,
Lack of sealant, or body movement/flex for it to crack.
IP ratings aren’t difficult to understand or design for, so it’s just poor design. The VF isn’t better.

In fact the whole cabin filter arrangement is a brain dead design as many other cars I've owned are so much simpler and easier to swap the cabin filter. The fact the VE/VF design is a PITA and can require a heavy hand (which gets cut and scratched in the process) probably contributes to breaking the factory seal between the filter housing and the firewall. Then the leaks start…

So it would be interesting to know if it’s only vehicles with cabin filters that have leaked ;)

If the firewall flexed there would have been structural fatigue and associated failures occuring by now with fronts fall off the car… Luckily that’s not the case :p

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It can come from the cabin pollen filter area in two ways. One of the drain hole is blocked with leaves and dirt. Or the drain rubber which drains to the wheel well is perished, water easily comes up into the intake box. There is a smaller drain in there too. Get in cleaned out while you are looking anyway. That’s all accessed under the bonnet.

The other way is between the firewall and the pollen filter. That’s harder to fix. You’ll need a trim tool to open it up a bit and get some silicone down into the top edge behind the plastic and down the sides.

I’ve posted photos of this in other threads on the topic.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It can also come from where the hvac is bolted through the firewall. It’s a poor seal on those places. Fixing that is not fun. Ask me how I know

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 ute
Thanks for the heads up on this I have sealed this area with car seam sealer as it stays flexible and with rain we have had in the last 2 days it has stayed dry so all seems to be good, I have attached some photos so hope this helps for anyone else that may get water in to the car as the problem is around where the cabin filter is as the cover does not seem to set hard against the firewall and let water drain thru

Attachments

• 253AA6F0-A300-41C5-9D1E-17015C72BAD4.jpeg
    253AA6F0-A300-41C5-9D1E-17015C72BAD4.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 317
  • FFFC3A98-5235-4429-8760-66AD52CE7000.jpeg
    FFFC3A98-5235-4429-8760-66AD52CE7000.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 334