Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weed spraying

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have Roundup and cheap gear. Roundup works twice a fast as the other gear. I have been reading over the years them now finding that glyphosate has inherent risks, which is coming to light over the last five years.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I still use it though and without protective gear that they now suggest if exposed to it frequently.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Did you spray the grass with Roundup ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Did you spray the grass with Roundup ?
No only the cheap stuff. I think my Roundup is at my other home. I try to keep the Roundup for jobs that need quick killing, plus I'm getting low on the good stuff and it's fairly expensive.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
No only the cheap stuff. I think my Roundup is at my other home. I try to keep the Roundup for jobs that need quick killing, plus I'm getting low on the good stuff and it's fairly expensive.
I find that if you look at the glyphosate ratio if it is under the roundup ratio of 360g/l glysophate it's pretty much useless but at the same ratio even the cheap stuff works as well as roundup and only costs around $10 a litre for undiluted

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It’s all glypho. Zero, Hortico, roundup. Don’t use it.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Slasher is an excellent alternative. It uses a plant derived acid. We find that it is as effective or better than Glypho. It’s available in as a concentrate and it’s used in commercial agriculture.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I find that if you look at the glyphosate ratio if it is under the roundup ratio of 360g/l glysophate it's pretty much useless but at the same ratio even the cheap stuff works as well as roundup and only costs around $10 a litre for undiluted
It's not the level of glyho that makes Roundup quicker it's the surfactant that makes to stick better than the cheap gear. When I was doing customer jobs a few years back I pretty much always used Roundup because of its quick action, compared to cheap gear.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
With spraying, always spray in the morning. When you spray late in the day, the plant won’t absorb as much of the herbicide. Overnight it’s respiration changes and by morning, many herbicides have oxidised and are far less effective when daylight returns.

Don’t spray if rain is forecast in days ahead. No matter how some of these products say they can be used as. Residues will still find their way into waterways.

There are some great ways to get more out of herbicides. Add Seasol. We found by accident that Seasol was a far better alternative to urea in herbicide mixes. The purpose of these to to get more herbicide absorbed into the plant via the leaves. (This is how all herbicides work, not through the roots as many think). The stomata remain open and as a result absorb far more in. Without the Seasol, the stomata constrict far more and reduce the uptake and increase the time it needs to be on the leaf.

I am not really able to say exactly how we found this, but I will say someone really fkd up and it was expensive.

Add food die. We use marker dye in horticulture, but food dye is a good cheap alternative. It will also dye the plastic of your sprayer a bit, so you won’t use it for fungal sprays or insecticides by accident and have a big problem.

Using a dye cuts down on your time and reduces the amount of herbicide needed because you can spray only where needed.

Make it all stick. We use special stuff to do this but you can make do with dish washing liquid or a high grade liquid wetting agent like Baileys Grosorb or Scott’s. This keeps it on the leaf and down through any fine hairs or waxey leaf surfaces.

Don’t spray if it’s windy. Spray drift could bugger your loved plants.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

So is the cheap stuff a selective or are you trying to kill all of the grass with the weeds ?