Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What alternater is this?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well on a good note, the L67 Alt is worth more than a L36 one. Being polished you will get good coin if repaired.

Can't understand why? The only difference is the back, it does the exact same job as the ecotec alternator.

When my L67 alternator died I had a good condition ecotec alternator so I just swapped over the rear bodies and was back on the road again.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hi
I was given a alternater a few years ago.

I stripped it down, polished & plated it.

Reassembled it, missed a small mica washer. That was all that was left after rebuilding it, with new bearings & a regulator.

On the oem workshop manual, there is a pic of all the parts with the part names. That small mica washer isn't listed.
There is a mica washer listed 16. But that isn't the one. Its smaller than that.

Back to the alternater, fitted up to to my mockup car (another vt v6). FItted it. put the multi meter on it. Only 12.6 volts?
Fitted alternater first then a fresh battery. When l connected the the neg. terminal, large spark ( huh, what the f#ck?).
Connected again, no spark at all. Check the cluster, yes the odo was showing. Started in engineering mode. Voltage was only just over 12 volts with the MM.
By now the alternator was starting to smoke. Turned motor off & disconnected the battery terminals.

Put the original alternater back in & connected the battery. 14 volts & no smoke.

I've taken a pic to show both alternaters. Is the polished & chrome plated one from Supercharged v6?

Tia Lex
View attachment 258740View attachment 258741View attachment 258742
I found where that extra mica insulating washer goes.
20231127_1357341.jpg