Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are you showing with your ODB-II sensor?

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
I have a cheapo ebay ELM327 Wifi not Bluetooth works with iPhone and iPad or PC, using Dash Command every thing works a treat

Hi Can you send me a link to the one you bought so I can purchase and did yours work with a v6?

Thanks

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
My cheapo pretty much always worked once recognised and set up.If you get a dud they will replace it as they don't like bad feed back. Early mod cars could be different. Looks like the programs are flying ahead in big leaps.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
When I upgrade i'll need an ipod to display my 60 instrument dash and readouts. Handy on trips I spose.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi Bfhoon,

just replying to your PM here, just in case it helps others.

Keep in mind with this stuff, there is working, and then there is WORKING....
Will xxxx OBDII scanner work with your car ?

The Cheapy ELM327 devices are OBDII compliant.
What this means is that any car that is OBDII compliant (Which includes VT, VX, VY, VZ, VE, VF, 6cyl, V8, supercharged, lpg, manual, auto, ute, wagon, sedan, LWB), as well as 90% of cars manufactured after 2001 (So Ford, Holden, GM, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda........ You get the idea..........)

The problem with the cheapy ELM327 adapters is setting them up to get them to work.
Once they are set up, and with compatible software, they will do basic OBDII diagnostics. (Such as read Engine trouble (P) codes, clear Engine Trouble codes, and obtain basic engine running data).
If you classify this as "working", then yes, the cheapy ELM327 scanners will "work", keeping in mind that you will probably need to mess around with settings, and find software to get them to "work".

For a bit more, you can get something that will also work, the difference is that it will work a bit better. (Eg it will come with free software, you will not need to dick around with baud rates, etc to get it "working"). The other 2 scantools mentioned fall in to this category.
They also support a whole heap of proprietary protocols which although the ELM327 chip can support, the cheapy ELM327 scantools will definitely not support.

Basically with these things, there are lots of applications. (A cheapy ELM327 can scan error codes, just like a Tech2 can scan error codes, however the difference between the two is chalk and cheese).
For more information about setting up a cheapy ELM327 scantool, have a look at this link

www.carmodder.com • OBD Scantool Fun for Beginners for the Holden VE Commodore

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Hi Bfhoon,

just replying to your PM here, just in case it helps others.

Keep in mind with this stuff, there is working, and then there is WORKING....
Will xxxx OBDII scanner work with your car ?

The Cheapy ELM327 devices are OBDII compliant.
What this means is that any car that is OBDII compliant (Which includes VT, VX, VY, VZ, VE, VF, 6cyl, V8, supercharged, lpg, manual, auto, ute, wagon, sedan, LWB), as well as 90% of cars manufactured after 2001 (So Ford, Holden, GM, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda........ You get the idea..........)

The problem with the cheapy ELM327 adapters is setting them up to get them to work.
Once they are set up, and with compatible software, they will do basic OBDII diagnostics. (Such as read Engine trouble (P) codes, clear Engine Trouble codes, and obtain basic engine running data).
If you classify this as "working", then yes, the cheapy ELM327 scanners will "work", keeping in mind that you will probably need to mess around with settings, and find software to get them to "work".

For a bit more, you can get something that will also work, the difference is that it will work a bit better. (Eg it will come with free software, you will not need to dick around with baud rates, etc to get it "working"). The other 2 scantools mentioned fall in to this category.
They also support a whole heap of proprietary protocols which although the ELM327 chip can support, the cheapy ELM327 scantools will definitely not support.

Basically with these things, there are lots of applications. (A cheapy ELM327 can scan error codes, just like a Tech2 can scan error codes, however the difference between the two is chalk and cheese).
For more information about setting up a cheapy ELM327 scantool, have a look at this link

www.carmodder.com • OBD Scantool Fun for Beginners for the Holden VE Commodore

Thanks Zerone_V your help is greatly appreciated. Im not bad on computers and like learning things so I might give the elm327 a try I understand its not the best and probably far from it but im a poor man and I think it will satisfy my needs at least for now. Thanks for the info top stuff.

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
Ive decided to buy the better one now the OBDLink Scantool LX or MX Where can I buy in Australia or where is the cheapest place to buy one Im having trouble finding people that sell it.

Thanks Everyone

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE INTERNATIONAL MY10
Amazon is fine, Bought lots of stuff from the USA using Amazon, The trouble though with most items including the Scantool Khabel linked is they dont ship to Australia, When I went through the checkout it just says this item can not be shipped to Australia blah blah, The same with about 75% of the stufff on Amazon I have found

Plenty of the same MX bluetooth scantools on ebay US though

Guessing the ebay / ELM 327 you linked Benjo does not actually ship from Darwin NT looking at their ebay store?
Anyone tried the ELM 327 V1.5?