Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do in the shed or garage today

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have a 20ton press in the garage. Don't use it often but when I do need it, it's there. Tools, dies etc for pressing specific items I'd make at work on the lathe. Or rather, I used to make at work on the lathe. That's the one thing I miss about my old job, access to the workshop.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
A mate of mine ordered a press online. After about 2 months it hadn't arrived so he complained to the seller. Seller posted another one. They are not expensive presses but effective for diy auto works. 2 weeks later the second press arrived. 2 weeks after that the first one arrived lol. So my mate is going to give me that one :) It's going to make installing bushes much easier.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah , got a 20T press, not used a lot but when needed = much easier.
Did use my big vice before but that's mucking around and not anywhere near as effective or can do.
Mine is just against the back wall , feet keep it off the wall so can use where it is for a lot of jobs

As said pain is finding stuff/dies needed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah , got a 20T press, not used a lot but when needed = much easier.
Did use my big vice before but that's mucking around and not anywhere near as effective or can do.
Mine is just against the back wall , feet keep it off the wall so can use where it is for a lot of jobs

As said pain is finding stuff/dies needed.
I bought a set of bearing separaters. I'm hoping they might work as tooling for the press, even just on light jobs. Having the ability and gear needed to make something specific for a job would be awesome. Unfortunately I have neither.... Hahahaha

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I have a 20ton press in the garage. Don't use it often but when I do need it, it's there. Tools, dies etc for pressing specific items I'd make at work on the lathe. Or rather, I used to make at work on the lathe. That's the one thing I miss about my old job, access to the workshop.
I'd love a lathe in the shed. But ( & thats a big BUT), l'd like to know how to use it.

I had a chance to buy a 20 ton press 2 months ago, I dont really have anywhere to put it, & probably wouldn't use it till l change the bushes, rebuild the rear trailing arms (what the parts are called in my workshop manual).
So, didn't buy it

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I bought a set of bearing separaters. I'm hoping they might work as tooling for the press, even just on light jobs. Having the ability and gear needed to make something specific for a job would be awesome. Unfortunately I have neither.... Hahahaha

More money another shed and one of these , ( a true machinist will probably Boo Hoo ) but for home enthusiast even this at $3.5K plus bench/stand/transport/pick up is a tall stretch.
Combination lathe/mill.

Did I mention I'd love one !!! And room.
Along with one of these power hammer machines= but at $5.5k !!!

Maybe sometime into the future this planishing machine/hammer at only $320.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
More money another shed and one of these , ( a true machinist will probably Boo Hoo ) but for home enthusiast even this at $3.5K plus bench/stand/transport/pick up is a tall stretch.
Combination lathe/mill.

Mate bought a small lathe a couple of years back....From memory it was under the $1,000 mark...Will try find his youtube channel with it in to show.....It does him for his home workshop stuff

Edit, found it

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Combination lathe/mill.

I dunno what a planishing machine does but surely that's a bargain!
I didn't go into my shed again.
Maybe I'll go in there tomorrow to get a beer . Maybe one day soon I can do some work in there too!!!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Mate bought a small lathe a couple of years back....From memory it was under the $1,000 mark...Will try find his youtube channel with it in to show.....It does him for his home workshop stuff

Edit, found it

I was undecided on one of those lathes before covid. Ended up not doing it as I don't have the room atm. Price now would probably be 3K :(