Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
Took the rocker cover off the Senator and put in replacement rockers/pushrods.

Then I put a ratchet on the balancer bolt and turned it over a few times to make sure all is moving as it should etc before putting it back on 10°BTDC on No1 cylinder and replacing the rocker cover. Still need to replace the rocker cover gasket too.

My gosh, these 304's have crap compression, so easy to turn over by hand.

Last edited:

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Drove out to MX5 Mania to purchase new tail light seals on the MX5, then fitted them because it's a half hour job

Also ordered for the MX5:
New power steering reservoir (old one is old and mank looking, purely for looks)
Exedy Sports Tuff HD Clutch kit (old one is....... old and stock, flywheel will get a skim)
New Clutch Pilot Spigot Bearing (while we're in there)
New rear main seal (while we're in there)
Gear Shifter Lever Brass Bush (while where in there)
Hel braided brake and clutch lines (old lines are old)
New black cloth soft top trim (because it has a few stains, but is being fitted by a professional with all new weather seals)

Parts already ordered that still need to be fitted:
Headers
Coilovers
Sway bars
Calipers

Then tuned with ECUTek with some dyno time to get it on point for a track day

This fun little thing is one hell of a daily, and happily parts are relatively cheap, well, apart from the new top, that was $2k, plus $1k to get fitted professionally

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Far out I hope you didn't pay much this MX. :p

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Far out I hope you didn't pay much this MX. :p
Cheapest, cleanest, lowest Km one with full service history I could find, plus some good old fashioned low balling to a motivated seller

I knew what I wanted from one prior to purchase, so that all came into play with my budget and which car I picked

I am still currently well under my budget of what I wanted to spend, even with all of my mods so far mentioned, and because I'm staying naturally aspirated with this build there is still a sizable slush fund available to either drop on "stuff"

My initial budget was to buy a new sporty car for a daily, but nothing new "floated my boat", the new 86/BRZ or ND MX5 was a contender, but whilst they look good, unless you spend some serious coin on them they are uninspiring, so, as I always wanted another MX5 that not only looked "cool" but handled well, I decided to build one to "Ginger Beer" spec, enter the NC MX5

I had a NB years ago that I use to daily and track, naturally aspirated, with all the fruit, but the NC is so much of a better car that it was a simple choice

I'm currently around $20k with all the mods that I've stated, my daily toy slush fund was around $50-60k, which I will not even get close to spending on it

In saying this, I still want a detachable hard top, which is like finding hens teeth for a NC apparently, a 4 point cage, and a oil cooler

I basically want a reliable fuel efficient sporty daily that I can cruise to work in, and throw around the track and skid pan for LOLS

Whilst not the fastest thing on the street or track, a MX5 is an extremely fun place to be in

The VX SS will remain my comfy bogan long distance family cruiser with more power than what I actually need, well, actually the perfect amount of "reliable" power that I actually need

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Now that's a tidy budget.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Priced up some gas struts for the tonnneau on the ute. Rare Spares have them for $70 in the length I need. These are 700nm. I'm not sure if that's HD enough for mine that weighs as much as a twin hump. I will go and see them when I have a spare $70 and see if they can sharpen the pencil on that price. If not I will probably still grab them as I'd rather pay an extra $10 knowing if they fail under warranty I will be able to get a swap on the same day. I suspect I should be able to get something shaved off the price.